Best Music Speakers for the Imac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macsander, Feb 19, 2008.

1. macsander macrumors regular

macsander

Hi!

I love music, so I want the best speakers to listen to it, I want incredible sound.
    I would like to know what the best speakers are for listening music up to 500$..
    What would be better 5.1 or 2.1? I know you can't listen music in surround but sound truth 4-5 boxes sounds better or not?

And please if you have experience with the Logitech z-5500 also let me know, because this is my favourite candidate atm;) till some people come with better suggestions (or not)

Please come up with the best suggestions! Thanks a lot!:)

Kind regards,
    Sander

2. jlanuez macrumors 6502

BOSE Computer MusicMonitor

I just went to see the new Bose Computer MusicMonitor over the weekend, they sound great and are very nicely built. We will be getting these as soon as we make some room.

3. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

I agree. Anything from Bose will sound great, however you pay a premium for the Bose name. I have the Sounddock for my iPod and couldn't think of a better sounding docking station.

Bose truly does make great products.

4. Pili macrumors regular

Ok, the z5500s are a decent set of all around speakers and i get a lot of use out them with my tv/gaming console. Plus they decode the optical out which is a plus if you plan on watching dvd's though your mac. They are not however a "great" pair of speakers for music listening. For that you will want to move towards monitors or bookshelf speakers. I dont have a ton of experience here in listening to different brands but decent monitors start at around $500.

IMO though, and what i did, was purchase a great pair of headphones and a DAC. You get much a much better value in headphones but then again its not for everyone.

One other thing you have to consider is what quality your music is encoded as. If your music is all 128 kbps then you will hear many more of the flaws in the compressed music with quality speakers/headphones and you wont find the music as enjoyable to listen too.

5. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

Please differentiate to prevent a flame war.

As far as computer speakers go, my own experience is limited to Logitech's products. I've had the Z-4i for the longest time, and they're decent for the price, but as all Logitech systems, has way too much bass to the point where it absolutely ruins the overall performance.

6. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Noted.

I have also had Logitech 5.1 Speakers and they have been nothing short of spectacular. Logitech is also competitively priced.

7. macsander thread starter macrumors regular

macsander

The thing is, I have all my music on my pc, so I need speakers hooked up to my pc. So is the best possible sound Logitech z-5500, Bose companion 5 or another sounds system?

What is the best, Pc speakers(suggestions) or another way to hook up speakers and sub to you pc, please explain how and which speakers.

Thanks for the help!

8. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

If you're using them for music, steer clear of Logitech. I don't have much experience with Bose, but from my experience, studio monitors would be your best bet. Check out the Samson Resolv series.

9. macsander thread starter macrumors regular

macsander

Any other people with suggestions please?

Does anyone else have experience with the AudioengineA5's? please tell me

10. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

I've actually have these on my desk (have had them since Nov-Dec) and while it was hard to swallow the price in the beginning as soon as I got them and actually felt and heard them with my equipment they are one of my favorite purchases of all time, the sound that comes out of these tiny things is amazing and I replaced a pair of SoundSticks and don't miss the subwoofer at all.

I know a lot of people don't care for Bose but for me these are great solidly built and great sounding, could I have gotten the same sound cheaper, maybe, but I don't regret spending the money on them and would do it again.