Best N router for my needs

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by makowb, Oct 26, 2008.

1. makowb macrumors member

Okay, so let me start off by saying I've done quite a bit of research so far, but I'm just not sure if I'm correct in my findings/assumptions.

Now, here are what I am going to be using this for and my requirements. First, I want ONE (ie no bridging or using two routers if possible) gigabit, dual-band N router with a USB port for printer sharing. I would also like it to be simultaneous dual-band because as far as I can tell, if I use something that isn't, then the N band will suffer because of it. I will have my macbook using N, my old desktop turned NAS hard wired, a media extender (not currently, but probably in the future) with 5ghz N features, and a slew of G devices (ps3, ipod touch, older laptops.)

I have 5 choices I've narrowed it down to with pros/cons and prices (new) I can find:

Linksys wrt600n
    Price:170$
    Pros: Good performance for price
    Cons: A little bit more expensive, no print server

Linksys wrt610n
    Price:165$
    Pros: Good performance
    Cons: Large periodic throughput dropouts (bad for HD media extending) A little bit more expensive, no print server

D-Link DIR-825
    Price: 140$
    Pros: Pretty much a cheaper version of DIR-855
    Cons: Shareport doesn't work with mac (yes I know I can use parallels or whatever, but that's more work). Smaller 5 ghz range.

D-Link DIR-855
    Price: 240$
    Pros: Has everything I'd need, period
    Cons: PRICE! Shareport doesn't work with mac

Apple Airport Extreme Base Station
    Price: 130$ (or 500gb time capsule for 240$)
    Pros: Works well with my mac and PCs, very easy to use, very reliable
    Cons: Can't use simultaneous bands. No firewall or uPnP (read on PCMag, can anyone confirm)?

Honestly, if anyone has cases of streaming HD with the Airport Extreme while running simultaneous G devices on it not killing the quality of the video then I'm probably going to hop on the Airport/Time Capsule.

2. subru77 macrumors newbie

I am also looking for a solution ... Is TC better that using Airport + External HDD ?

3. emt1 macrumors 65816

PC Mag is retarded. Airport Extreme has a firewall and UPnP. My MBP is 802.11n and I have several other G computers on the network. Network Utility says my link speed is 130Mb/s. I don't know if that's fast enough to stream HD video.

4. Slovak macrumors regular

Just got done setting up the DIR-825. I am getting significantly better throughput than my old G router. The USB is probably not usable for printer application, though I am using the D-Link DP-301P+ for trouble-free IP printing (both Macs and PCs).

5. scottydawg macrumors 6502

scottydawg

I don't know if you would consider Belkin but I have had good luck with their Pre-N router.

6. bplein macrumors 6502

bplein

The Apple Airport Extreme will do 5Ghz OR 2.4GHz, not both simultaneously. So you can use Wireless-N in 2.4GHz mode (130Mbit signal rate) while simultaneously servicing G/B clients at their respective rates. I am using mine that way right now. You won't be able to use the 5GHz (300Mbit signal rate) while serving 2.4GHz clients.

That being said, I tested both 2.4GHz and 5GHz settings and I found that file uploads/downloads to/from my server weren't any faster at 5Ghz than 2.4GHz, but I have a 100Mbit bottleneck in my network. But I don't believe that 300Mbit signal rate can deliver 100Mbit Ethernet bandwidth anyhow.

I will know more later this week, when I get an Airport Extreme with Gigabit (my other is 100Mbit). I am not expecting faster file transfers, but I will find out.

7. cube macrumors G5

People are already putting DD-WRT on the WRT600N. But it still doesn't work at 300 Mbps.

8. emt1 macrumors 65816

5 GHz is very susceptible to signal degradation due to walls being in the way of the signal. I moved my 5 GHz TC from the part of the basement on the opposite side of my house to the part of the basement directly below my room. My transmit rate went from about 80-90 to 270. I get file transfer rates to the TC hard drive of about 6-7 MB/s

9. Crevice macrumors regular

I have a single band d-link 655 which only gets 130 mbps on my macbook because it doesnt have 5ghz. Do you think its worth if for me to upgrade to a router that has dual band functions so I can get 300 mbps? Or is 130 mbps good enough?

10. CP123 macrumors regular

Take a look at the Belkin N+ Router. It works pretty good. Also see the review on CNET.

11. scottydawg macrumors 6502

scottydawg

I just picked up a Belkin N+ this weekend and Frys. It is working really well and for some reason the internet speed with my MacPro that is plugged into it is about 10-20% faster then with my prior router.

12. jbrettz macrumors member

I would recommend buying this ebook by Glenn Fleishman
    http://www.takecontrolbooks.com/airport-n.html

Quote from site:
    Take Control of Your 802.11n AirPort Network

Make your 802.11n-based AirPort network fast, reliable, and secure!

Find real-world advice from Wi-Fi wizard Glenn Fleishman on setting up the 802.11n models of Apple's AirPort Express, AirPort Extreme, and Time Capsule. You'll get help with all the picky networking details, such as how to choose between the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands, use older Wi-Fi gear without hurting performance, set up complex Internet addressing, share USB disks and printers, network with and configure an Apple TV, and connect from Mac and Windows clients. You'll also learn how to create a multi-base-station network to extend range, and how to stream music across your network with an AirPort Express.

I purchased it, and it has a wealth of information on different setups.

Brett

13. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

I actually find this to be a real downside of the 5Ghz frequency. Can't move my MBP down 1 floor without losing the signal.

Strange that my PC gets 300mhz from the 2.4 frequency...

14. CP123 macrumors regular

I have 6 laptops (2 macs, and 4 pcs), an iMac, and HP printer running wirelessly, without a flaw. Much, much faster than the Linksys wireless router. I'm sorry I didn't get this Belkin router sooner.

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

My WRT600 has a print server; can't speak for the WRT610 though.

And if you think that's expensive, you should have seen the price when it first came out ;)

EDIT: Oh why did I just reply to a 2 month old thread. :(