Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbsmithmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
As the title suggests, I'm looking for a NAS unit (a few TB in size and is a home use version...I don't need something industrial) that I can plug into my router that will allow me access to it securely via the internet.

Additionally I'd like to be able to make the mac mount it as a drive upon startup. I know some of these have a website that you can go to that will give you access to your drive, but I'm looking for something more integrated with OS X (mountain lion)...a dropbox type app would be ok. I'm also fine with manually creating a mount point (but would need help from someone that could show me how to do that).

Has anyone done this...or have ideas?

jbsmithmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
any synology device? I've seen them advertised in multiple places, but haven't studied them much.

I'm checking out their site now.

jbsmithmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
Thanks for pointing this out guys...synology looks to have a good product. Even looks like it can handle a few other tasks that I have a very old machine doing inside my local network (testing server for website development).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.