Best NAS Accessable from Internet and can be mounted as a drive upon startup

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jbsmithmac, Dec 13, 2012.

1. jbsmithmac macrumors regular

As the title suggests, I'm looking for a NAS unit (a few TB in size and is a home use version...I don't need something industrial) that I can plug into my router that will allow me access to it securely via the internet.

Additionally I'd like to be able to make the mac mount it as a drive upon startup. I know some of these have a website that you can go to that will give you access to your drive, but I'm looking for something more integrated with OS X (mountain lion)...a dropbox type app would be ok. I'm also fine with manually creating a mount point (but would need help from someone that could show me how to do that).

Has anyone done this...or have ideas?

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

3. jbsmithmac thread starter macrumors regular

any synology device? I've seen them advertised in multiple places, but haven't studied them much.

I'm checking out their site now.

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

They're all fairly similar, speed & drive bays depending on your needs. A single bay DS112j is about $160 here in Canada.

5. jbsmithmac thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for pointing this out guys...synology looks to have a good product. Even looks like it can handle a few other tasks that I have a very old machine doing inside my local network (testing server for website development).

6. greywolfe macrumors member

greywolfe