Best NAS drive solution for use with MBP?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Chic0, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Chic0 macrumors 6502

I currently have a MBP. I have my Lacie ext drive connected to my AEBS, so I can access my media wirelessly.

This drive is partitioned, so half for my media (mainly movies) and other half for time machine backups. I have had numerous issues, so have just been thinking of making a few changes

My idea is to buy a larger external drive, either 1 or 2TB, and use that solely for my media. I will then use my current drive for time machine backups only.
    I thought I would be able to connect two ext hard drives to the AEBS, but this is not the case as it only has one USB. As a solution I am now thinking of buying a NAS drive instead for my media.

Will I be able to use a Lacie NAS drive with my AEBS?
    Are there any other NAS options I should consider? My budget is preferably around £150, but I may be able to stretch to about £200
    Over 802.11n, what are the data transfer rates like when compared to ext drive connected via AEBS?

I am also intending of getting an Apple TV in a month or so. By the time this happens I hope that after jailbreaking it I will be able to access movies stored on this drive via Apple TV. So whatever drive I get now, should work seamlessly with this.

Any info or tips greatly appreciated :)

2. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Actually, according to the manual you can do exactly that. Just use a USB hub and you can connect multiple drives and printers.

3. Chic0 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the linkage. Believe it or not I did do a quick search on google for macrumors threads on the topic. the top results were dated 2008 though, so I didnt bother looking anymore.

Yes this is what I was originally thinking of doing, but I didnt think it was possible to use a hub for some reason.

After looking into NAS though, I really do think it is the better option for me. My AEBS sits underneath my AV stand, but my black lacie sits on one of the shelves in between AV receiver and PS3. i'll have an Apple tv by xmas, so I don't really want drives cluttering up the shelves. At least with a NAS, i can just tuck it away where it cant be seen :cool:

Will probably sell my current 750gb Lacie in the process.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Just a tip: if you're looking for anything in the forum, instead of using Google, use MRoogle and filter the search results to only threads with posts in the past year.
    ScreenCap 9.PNG
    How to set up a quick right-click search of the MR forums.

5. dimme macrumors 65816