Best NAS for Mac? PLEASE HELP ASAP

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nope7308, May 15, 2010.

1. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Due to the incompetence of Apple retail staff, I'm returning a Time Capsule because it cannot be partitioned.

Essentially, I want to do two things:
    - Backup my HD using Time Machine
    - Provide additional wireless storage

I am using a D-Link WBR-2310 router (no USB) with a Macbook. I would like to use two 1TB 7200RPM Green Drives, so which NAS enclosure should I be looking for? I don't need many features, but a fast read/write speed would be ideal (I will be storing large video files, sometimes playing them diretly from the NAS).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

I use a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo with two 1TB Samsung Green drives. Works perfectly. :cool:

3. nope7308 thread starter macrumors 65816

nope7308

But is that compatible with Time Machine? Also, what are the write speeds like? Let's say I want to transfer a 1GB file... how long (approx.) would it take?

Finally, does that particular unit run quiet/cool? Are there any obnoxious lights on it?

Thanks again.

4. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

Yes, it works fine with Time Machine. I have 2 Macs (iMac and MBP) plus Windows XP and Windows 7 lappy's. All work with the RND and run backups etc from each with no problems.

How would you be transferring data to the NAS? Wireless? Or Ethernet? I transfer over wireless G as my router doesn't support wireless N even though the MBP and Windows lappy's do. A 10GB movie file (.m2ts format) can take about 40 minutes to transfer. The unit runs fairly quiet. You do hear some fan noise and HDD access noise but its nothing major. When starting up or rebooting the fans go at full throttle for about 10 seconds but then return to normal. There is a bright blue on/off light on the front though. In a darkened room it can light it up.

Have a look at www.readynas.com if you want more info. :D

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Have you looked into the HP MediaSmart line? My EX490 is what the Time Capsule should have been. Note that most non-Apple NAS do not allow for Time Capsule restores from "bare metal." HP provides software that, in principle, allows this by pre-mounting the Time Machine image. However, it did not work for me once I tried it.

"Regular" Time Capsule restores have been perfectly fine, and it does so much more than the TC does.

My 500GB just died ~24 months after I bought it, and I do not intend on replacing it with another Apple product.

B

6. nope7308 thread starter macrumors 65816

nope7308

Thanks for the replies. I just heard of NAS today, so I'm still trying to figure out if it's the right choice. Let me break things down for ya...

I have an external 500GB HD that's about to crash. The only thing I dislike about an external HD is that I have to plug it into my laptop. So, I just want external storage that's wireless and compatible with Time Machine. I already have a wireless N router (Dlink WBR-2310), so I want to 'add' the external storage and access it wirelessly.

For the first backup/file transfer, I would connect my computer directly to the NAS (if I can) for fast transfer speeds. All subsequent file transfers/backups would be done wirelessly.

Previously, I had to use USB to transfer files to my external HD. This took about 3-5 min per 1GB file, but the drive was formatted as NTFS. Would a wireless transfer via NAS be faster? I have a 2.4Ghz Macbook Aluminum.

I'm not familiar with RAID, but I think I understand the general concept (back up for the back up). I would be interested in this option as well, but it's not entirely necessary.

So, please let me know if you require any further information. I desperately need some idiot-proof advice, preferably with some recommendations.

7. Outcast-au macrumors member

I've heard the qnap NAS products are pretty good - dont have one myself (yet) as they cost a bit.

8. elecompte macrumors newbie

What final configuration did you go with?

Hi nope7308,

I'm looking to do exactly what you were talking about.

What did you end up setting up in the end and how is it working for you?

Thanks.

9. paulgarb macrumors regular

I would also love to know - RND is just about squeaking it for me but HP mist be due to upgrade the, admittedly expensive, Mediasmart line soon & it just looks better.

10. metalblaze macrumors member

I am personally VERY interested in Lacie Wireless Space: http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=11567

Have read some of the reviews and it seems impressive. Haven't seen any of the "user" reviews..and waiting for early adopters.

Anyone in this forum with thoughts and opinions? I have seen so many mixed reviews about Time Capsule, that I am hesitating to pull the trigger...:rolleyes:

11. maxb macrumors member

maxb

If your looking for a fast and secure solution, you need a NAS with decent processing power and at least RAID 1 support. I'm a QNAP TS-239 Pro owner sporting 2X Seagate 1.5 To in Raid1 (Mirror) and I couldn't be more satisfied. Average speed is 35mb/s when writing files to the NAS and 50mb/s while reading on gigabit ethernet. Those speeds rocks compared to my Time Capsule (5 times better)

BTW Time Machine is fully supported.

So basically, if you have the money for it, go with QNAP, you won't regret.

12. MCHR macrumors regular

I'd re-think your enthusiasm for LaCie for a moment. Do a cursory search, and you'll find LaCie isn't the most reliable manufacturer out there. Yes, every manufacturer has a few duds, but it seems LaCie has a few more than usual.

If your data is worth saving, pony up a few extra bucks and get something that won't screw the pooch in four months. Better yet, re-think your data backup strategy to make sure you're not caught out (as I was).

Re: Time machine. It's worth it, especially since it's 'free' with most Macs. Give it a whirl and see if you like it.