Best NAS for Media Server+ Time Machine Backup

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by williamrodz, May 30, 2012.

1. williamrodz macrumors newbie

Hi! So I recently upgraded my home theater with a new AV Receiver, Blu ray player, Smart TV,and Apple TV2 (720p), all with DLNA (with the exception of the ATV2) and other network capbilities. I also have 3 Macs on my network which I've been wanting to back up with Time Machine. I am looking for a NAS server with which I'll be able to store with all my music, TV shows, and movies, (some from iTunes and others downloaded from HandBrake), stream these to my devices, and be able to back up my computers, all with a nice UI and reliability. Thanks! Any suggestions are welcome!:D

2. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Time Capsule.

http://www.apple.com/timecapsule/

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

4. flynz4 macrumors 68040

The OP said he wanted a NAS... but the Pegasus is a DAS.

Personally, I like a DAS better for most applications... and I agree that the Pegasus is an extremely nice box. I have an 8TB Pegasus R4.

/Jim

5. williamrodz thread starter macrumors newbie

6. almonde macrumors regular

Synology make really nice NAS boxes, however no NAS on the market supports streaming media to an AppleTV, as only iTunes can host media when shared via 'Home Sharing'. The iTunes servers on the NAS boxes are the old style iTunes music sharing DAAP servers, probably derived from Firefly. If you want to store you Apple TV media on a NAS, you'll need to point a computer running iTunes at media to do the sharing.

7. chinhiphone macrumors regular

give the qnap ts219pII a look too

http://web.qnap.com/pro_detail_hardware.asp?p_id=211

it has 2 x usb3.0 and 1 x 2.0 ports, the listing here is wrong.

8. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

I want to get the Synology DS411J

I currently have a D-Link DNS 323 and it can no longer keep up with what I need, and it's only a 2 Bay. I want at least 4-bay.

I've also heard great things about Q-NAP but I fear that their prices are a bit to high for a 4-Bay NAS unit, but they can do so much!

9. flynz4 macrumors 68040

If all of your Macs are laptops, then I think that the NAS has an obvious advantage over a DAS. OTOH... if you have at least one desktop type of Mac (iMac, Mac Mini, Mac Pro) that is on 24/7, then having a DAS RAID device could have an advantage.

That Mac could share the data with all the other computers on your network and perform a NAS function. You will also have a full and "real" iTunes running on that Mac to be the iTunes server that you desire. The performance (especially with TB if you go that route) will be the highest performance, and lowest latency available. Finally, you have the most options for cost effective backup... especially if you choose to do any off-site or cloud based backup.

I personally use a Pegasus R4, and it is blazing fast.

/Jim

10. jezzy macrumors member

i upgraded from the 323 dlink to a Thecus n7700 7bay nas and love it.. currently 7x1tb with 500 bluray backups and tons of room for more. I've got my wdtv networked to it on the 46" and couldn't be happier.. but it's a noisy unit!

11. Ifti macrumors 68000

Synology. I love my unit.
    Check my videos via the link in my sig for more info on it, along with it being used with my Apple gadgets......

12. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

I recommend synology as well. Extremely happy with mines and it does everything I want it to do and a whole lot more.

13. Rorlow macrumors member

I have a 2 TB BlackArmour NAS that works well as media storage for Plex & Boxee