Best NAS option?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Blipp, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Blipp macrumors 6502

Hi guys,

I'm looking at getting a NAS for my home network to use as an iTunes server, media server, Time Machine backup and hopefully as an FTP server. I already bought an Airport Extreme so a Time Capsule is out.

I had been looking at Lacie Network Space 2TB but it sounds like it's connection can be spotty and it isn't very reliable with Time Machine.

Now I'm looking at the Buffalo LinkStation Pro 1TB and am curious if anyone has any experience with the product line or any other suggestions for a reliable NAS.

2. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Couple months ago I set up a Synology DS211 with two 2TB drives in RAID 1....so far it's speedy and works great. Bought a 2TB Iomega external USB drive to do automated backups of the NAS once a week (Synology includes the backup scheduler). Works great.

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

+1 to both halves of that. I did the DS411j myself (4-bay) in the hybrid raid. It's quite speedy. I wrote a review HERE. The units use the same firmware. I also have a external drive attached to it for a semi-nightly backup.

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

5. jdelgado macrumors regular

I have a Synology DS411+ that I use for iTunes, backups, and archiving. I have it connected to an Airport Extreme Base station. It supports Time Machine backups and FTP, although I have not used these functionalities. Setup is simple enough and I did not have any trouble with it (I am not particularly computer savvy), except deciding to Raid or not. The unit, so far, is working as it is supposed to.

6. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Plus a USB hard drive into your Airport Extreme and you've got network attached storage.

7. blevins321 macrumors 68030

The Time Machine features are great. You just create a new shared folder and then enable that folder as a "Time Machine Zone" in the Mac/Win/Linux settings in Control Panel. You can create a new Time Machine user and have a set quota for this user. Then, you can limit the maximum size of your backups this way. When you turn on Time Machine on your Mac, you'll select the Time Machine share that now appears, and login using the Time Machine user. Pretty fast too :)