Best NAS RAID for Time Machine

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Schmittroth, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Schmittroth macrumors regular

Schmittroth

My ReadyNAS Duo died recently after +4 years of service. So I'm curious to hear what people are using for backups. I use a NAS because I want a single device that'll backup multiple laptops and I want it to have redundant drives (2 are fine). Any suggestions?

2. MSFT macrumors member

Depending on how much you want to tinker and how computer-savvy you are, you might want to try to make a FreeNAS box. For a TM backup alone, it might be overkill, but if your data is especially important, the ZFS file system might be of interest to you. Basically, the RAID arrays you can create allow for 1 or 2 drives to fail at the same time and still enable you to recover your data. FreeNAS also tests your drives and tells you when it thinks one is failing.

The problem is that it requires a LOT of RAM (8gb minimum).

3. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Set up an OSX server on one of your spare macs and attach a TB enclosure. Use disk utility to mirror (RAID1).

Or buy a TimeCapsule and attach a USB drive. Then set up you macs to alternate TM backups between the internal TM drive and the attached drive.

The most reliable TM backups are only to Apple approved devices. Some have good luck otherwise, but you have to be lucky and willing to tinker.