Best NAS

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Steve34, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Steve34 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    Currently am running a 1 TB WD HDD, but now with IOS 5 and Icloud things seem to be coming into place as far as media streaming goes....and thats where the idea for an NAS comes into play (here in Australia, streaming is a money biter, high prices and limited space)

So in saying that, a few options have popped up into my head....Either get a AEBS and connect a HDD to it.
    TC, or a seperate NAS (Lacie most likely)
    Now let me clear up what I want to do....and if its even possible.....yet.
    Be able to stream music/videos from another source other than my PC, to my IOS device, kind of like the home sharing option in Itunes....
    Now So far we don't have many answers with that Wi-FI setting some of you may have seen already on the Iphone, TC or a base station config....whatever that means.......
    But is it even possible for the phone to recognize and play media on an external source that's going to be powered on 95% of the time?

And in the app store, I noticed some apps that allows UPNP sharing (medialink lite, etc.)

So, what NAS do you all recommend vs. an external HDD connected to a AEBS? (Speed, access point for media sharing Thru UpNP to the device, and price)
    Obviously a NAS is more configurable, but then again its not something I'm familiar with.....
    All suggestions and answers welcome!

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

External drive plugged into an AEBS is the lowest cost option. I have a 2 TB WD drive plugged in to my Time Capsule (which I no longer rely upon for backup). I also have a 2TB LaCie network space 2. If money was no object, I'd take a long look at Drobo but I don't want to cough up $700 for an empty 5 bay NAS and THEN start filling it with drives. At least not until I get the 34 million that Nigerian oil minister promised to send me ;).