Best navigation for iPhone?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by born4sky, Aug 19, 2011.

1. born4sky macrumors 6502a

born4sky

Hi, forum how is you Friday?

I want to purchase Navigation application for my trip to Canada... so I need US and Canada pre-loaded maps that wont require any data. (Canada roaming fees will kill me) Garmin and TomTom seems to be as a perfect match, but cant make my mind... please help me to decide. Perhaps offer something else.

2. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

Havent tried Garmin, I use TomTom and love it

3. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

I've used CoPilot and Navigon. Out of those I prefer Navigon it has a better UI, better maps, and from what I remember more features. Also if you get off your route its fast to change and get you back on route and its quick and follows your location perfectly.

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Another vote for Navigon. I've been using the app for a while now and it has always been great, I've never had any trouble with it :)

5. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Navigon user here. Been using it to my trip from WA to BC all the time and it has worked great to locate places in Canada w/o data roaming. Just make sure to turn off cellular data once you reach the border (to avoid push notifications, incoming email etc)

6. born4sky thread starter macrumors 6502a

born4sky

I was planning to use it in airplane mode... or on iPad (Navigon seems to be the only navigation system supporting iPad)

I really like TomTom interface, but after watching couple of videos it's not as smooth as Navigon... decision decision

+Navigon is on sale $39.99 comparing to $49.99 for garmin and tom tom.

7. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Navigon on iPhone won't work on airplane mode (based on several trips). You'd have to tell other people not to call you so you don't get call roaming charges when you're at Canada. Other than that, you're ok.