Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TJunkers

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
I am getting the MBA tomorrow regardless of update (granted if the update comes out but i have to wait a week or two, ill wait it!), but for all you MBA owners out there. What is the best software you can recommend for it?

I am using iWork for my text, iLife for.. well all the iLife stuff, and Remote Desktop. But what else?

Oh and Im looking for something to stream video. If Hulu.com had an application i'd be happy as can be!

Retops

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2008
Oklahoma
MBA Software

It is hard to make recommendations without knowing more about how you use your machine. In my case, Aquaminds Notebook and Eastgate's Tinderbox are programs I can't live without. Both of them run very well on the MB Air.

TJunkers

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
Sorry I was so vague. I use my iMac for everything, the MBA would be for portability, but I want to use it for photos, music, movies, internet, and any notes I may have to take at work which is a constant. I know the idea of music, and movies seems like the Macbook or macbook pro is a better choice but i am going to stream it to my computer and only store the necessities; under 100 songs and around 3 movies.

Just wondering what, if any, software you use that you specifically use because of the MBA.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
I run PS CS, Office 2008: Mac (dumped Entourage), iWorks, and GarageBand. I'm using FCP HD 4.5 for some mild film editing and developing 2-3 minute clips for my Pages Presentation right now. After I'm done with FCP I'll take it off my MBA and return it to my external HD, and download the movie clips and my Pages Presentation to a portable HD. And, just upload it from the portable HD when I need it...:cool:

MGLXP

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2005
I am getting the MBA tomorrow regardless of update (granted if the update comes out but i have to wait a week or two, ill wait it!), but for all you MBA owners out there. What is the best software you can recommend for it?

I am using iWork for my text, iLife for.. well all the iLife stuff, and Remote Desktop. But what else?

Oh and Im looking for something to stream video. If Hulu.com had an application i'd be happy as can be!

smcFanControl. Bump the default fan speed to at least 3500rpm and it is a lot cooler (and not very audible). Don't know if you will need this for the new MBA though.

n0de

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
If for streaming video you mean you want to be able to watch (not serve), Hulu is the best.

If you are going to be ripping your DVD's for portability, go DIVX.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.