Best network, after Verizon?; Contract Hell...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Steve.P.JobsFan, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Steve.P.JobsFan macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

Let me explain.

I have an iPhone 4, and I'm driving 100 miles to Michigan to get my iPhone 4, replaced Saturday at 3PM. Again, for the fourth time. The first 2 had defects, and they all had slight Antennagate issues, but a case solved it. Now, my third one is hell. Even with a case, I loose bars when I grip the phone. That shouldn't happen, as I have a case on it. I get a max of 2 bars with INTERMITTENT 3G data, though I mostly don't have 3G. I've called Apple many times. I asked for a replacement, but I want a 4S, because it doesn't have the antenna issues. Apple said no. I went to Verizon yesterday, they said no too. I highly depend on my iPhone, as it's my only phone. I need it to contact school, family, work, etc. I spoke to my Grandfather, as he is the primary account owner. He was at Verizon with me. The Antennagate is to the point that I get either 2 bars, 1 bar, or "No Service". It does it, even if I'm not griping it in my left hand. It could be sitting on a table, and do it. My grandpa is insisting on switching carriers. I wanted to do Sprint, since they still have unlimited data. But, I recommended AT&Satan (Bad joke about AT&T, I know...), since he has U-Verse, and it'd be bundled. His bill would already be 45 dollars cheaper, but then he'd get a 10% U-Verse discount. Anyways, what is the best carrier, after Verizon? I'm in Northwestern Ohio. If you need it, my ZIP Code is 45840. AT&T is rock solid here, but I just need to help him out.

PS: Our contract is supposed to end June 26th. I called Verizon again today, and they said it changed, and the first 4 lines end on the 26th, but my brother's phone ends in February 2013. We never upgraded his phone, signed a new contract, nothing. Why is his another 11 months away? They can't change his contract date, because we didn't do anything to the account...

Thanks!

- William

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They wont give you an iphone 4S to replace your iphone 4.
    Company policy. You bought an i4 you get the same replacement.
    Sell the iphone 4 you have now to make up for the ETF and go with whatever carrier works for you.
    Good luck.

3. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Sprint may have unlimited data, but they have the slowest data and it's just HELL compared to AT&T's HPSA+ or even Verizon's 3G.

As for the Antenna issues, my mom has the iPhone 4 on Verizon and we've yet to see any issue with the phone's antenna. If you can, first upgrade to the 4S on Verizon. If you cannot upgrade, then I would go for AT&T as your grandfather is going to get the most benefits from it.

----------

When was his account opened? Is he on a smartphone or feature phone? If he's on a smartphone then his account to cancel will be 375$. If it's a feature phone it will be only 175$

4. Demonface macrumors 6502a

I suggest that you switch to Sprint. The only reason is they dont limit you and even though its slow you would at least have Unlimited Data. They would also be a little cheaper than the other two carriers which is Verizon & AT&T. The only good thing At&T has is the network speed but to me the prices are pretty high

5. Steve.P.JobsFan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

He opened an account with Verizon in, oh geez, I don't know, really. I believe it was around 2006. I am the ONLY one on a smartphone. Everybody else has a feature phone. Although, my Mom said she wants an iPhone as her next phone. For some odd reason, my brother Kyle's contract doesn't end until next year. I can't afford the upgrade price for the 4S. I'm still a student. Also, I'm going on a day trip to Canada with my Mom in two months. I'll clearly still be on Verizon at the time. Anyways, I NEED data in Canada. Calling, not really. What should I do with Verizon in the mean time, to prepare to use my iPhone. I'm thinking I can't use it in Canada, because the iPhone 4 IS NOT a Global phone. I'm right, right?

6. aneftp macrumors 601

OP. you are completely wrong on the antenna gate FOR YOUR VERIZON IPHONE 4.

The CDMA iPhone 4 has a different antenna design from the gsm iPhone 4! That's the truth. You simply have your facts messed up.

It's the gsm only iPhone 4 that had antenna gate.

Plus you can call Verizon up and ask them why your brothers contract ends in feb 2013. Are you sure he didn't use an upgrade in Feb 2011?

And by the way. How did you obtain your iPhone 4 on Verizon? Did you buy off Craigslist? The iPhone 4 for Verizon was released in Feb 2011 on Verizon....and your brothers contract ends in Feb 2013. Something doesn't make sense here with the contract situation.

7. Steve.P.JobsFan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

Uh, no. You're wrong. The CDMA model has Antennagate. If TechnoBuffalo, ZDNET, CBS News, and CNET said that bridging the bottom left gap gave the same effect as the GSM model, it has antennagate. The Genius at the Briarwood store even said it does. Now that I think of it, I used his upgrade in Feb. 2011, to get my iPhone. How did I obtain my iPhone? I pre-ordered it on Feb 10th, 2011 via apple.com.

----------

Consumer Reports reignites 'Antennagate,' cites Apple's Verizon iPhone 4 issues

8. aneftp macrumors 601

My suggestion.

It just seems like you have poor Verizon reception where you live. If AT&T is rock solid and you qualify for a FAN discount or inverse discount.

I would just sell off you iPhone 4 on craigslist /eBay for as much as u can and pay off the remaining Verizon etf ($350-$10/month).

So if you plan on switching on June 23rd. That's another 2 months. Your etf would be $350-160(16 months). Roughly $190 etf. You can still get that much in ajune for your iPhone 4 easy.

9. Steve.P.JobsFan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

I actually live in a place called "Jerry City, Ohio." Yes, they have poor signal on everything. Cell, Landline phone, Broadband, TV, etc. I get 3 bars MAX there. HOWEVER, I stay in Findlay Monday - Friday, for schooling. Findlay is ROCK SOLID on Verizon. 5 Bars of 4G LTE AND 3G. I went to the Briarwood Apple Store at 3PM, and they replaced my iPhone 4. I get 4-5 bars WITH 3G in Findlay now, and the usual 1-3 in Jerry City, but Jerry City is just a huge deadzone. Anyways, I told my Grandfather that the issued for now, is solved. I told him I partly wished we would stay with Verizon, due to the fact they have 4G LTE in our area. AT&T and Sprint? Nope. I don't know if he still wants to change carriers, but I told him to stick with VZW now. I wouldn't pay an ETF, only my brother would. I'm assuming his would be around $175, like that one person said, since he is on a Samsung Reality (feature phone). I wanted to sell my iPhone 4 for $250. Is that a good price?

10. aneftp macrumors 601

Verizon CDMA only iPhone 4 have lower resell values. But $250 for good condition seems like market value right now. If you do not want to deal with Craigslist or eBay risks amazon has a trade in program giving you $240 amazon credit.

I shop so much on amazon that credit is as good as cash to me on amazon. But amazon credit may not be as good as cash if you do not use amazon a lot.

Your brother's line is subjected to the $350 ETF minus $10/month regardless is he is using a feature phone. You upgraded in feb 2011 to iPhone 4 using his line upgrade and did an upgrade swap. The etf is tied to the original line upgraded.

So it's been 14 months since your brother line was used for an upgrade. So etf would be about $210 right now.

As for sticking with one carrier or going to another. That's not your call since you are in a family plan with users in different locations. Do what's best for the primary account holder. If coverage is poor carriers offer what's called a "microcell" to improve cell phone coverage at home over wifi systems.

There are usually costs associated with microcells. But it u complain a lot about coverage at home. Some carriers may give away their microcell.

11. Steve.P.JobsFan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

Verizon doesn't have a microcell. Jerry City is only about 15 miles from Findlay, and my brother and mother said that they don't care what we do. The main reason we have bad signal there, is because our house is a total deadzone. In certain parts of Jerry City, I get 4+ bars of 3G.

12. Chrisw37 macrumors newbie

Just to give you a heads up with sprint they are upgrading towers to 4g/LTE as we speak. They should be completed by June.