Best Networked iTunes/Media Server?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by netdog, Nov 28, 2009.

1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

All Macs, a hifi connected to an Airport Express, a couple of ATVs, a networked clock radio, as well as iPods/iPhones accessing the network.

I understand that I can just put another NAS on the network and give everybody and everything access, but somebody mentioned that there are also iTunes servers on the market now (whatever that means).

What are the advantages of and capabilities of these boxes? I am having a little trouble wrapping my head around how these would be used exactly. Can any of my hardware take advantage of them? Obviously the Macs can all run iTunes locally, so it's hard to see any advantage there over just accessing the files over the network from a plain old NAS. Any advantages with the ATV, Airport Express stereo, iPod Touch or iPhone?

Any recommendations regarding either a good home server or just a good NAS drive much appreciated. Going to try to shop for it tomorrow.

2. SpeedFleX macrumors 6502

the iTunes Servers that they are talking about do not play video, just music, and no DRM STuff, they only way to get a real iTunes Server is to base ot off a normal OS like Windows Home Server, Windows XP, or even Leopard like a mac mini. Most NAS have Firefly iTunes Server and it is not really that good.

The advantages of a low power server would be that you dont have to turn on your mac, ATV could access it right away, you can set them up to stream over the internet.

You could also connect the Server to your Airport Express and controll it through a iPhone, that way you can listen to music without have any macs on.

The best part is that everybody can access the files at once and you dont need duplicates