Best newb apps for videography, musical composition iMovie, Garage Band?

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
I'm getting started with vlogging and need some apps for editing and putting together video and music files. Am I right in thinking that these Apple programs would be best to start with? Would appreciate alternative suggestions. I have looked at Audacity in the past and it seemed somewhat complicated but attractive.

Erehy Dobon

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2018
Well, seeing as how iMovie and Garage Band are free and well-documented, it would seem to be the sensible place to start.

As your needs develop you may find yourself needing additional features that those two programs don't offer. But until you arrive at that point, it seems like tackling a vastly more complicated set of programs would just be an even steeper learning curve and hinder you from accomplishing your preliminary goals.

Note that some vloggers just use their phones for this sort of thing.

Anyhow content is king. If your content sucks, it won't matter what production tools you used. Same goes with Hollywood movies, videogames, the meal you put on your dinner table.

A fully loaded 16" MacBook Pro isn't going to make you a better poet.

Last edited:
Reactions: macmesser

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
Thanks for reply, which confirms my gut feeling. I have camera equipment but have never done video, so I figure I can start the learning curve with my best hardware. I'd seriously consider using an iPhone as it seems this would be a pretty seamless operation. I agree that content is king and that should be the focus of most of the energy.