best newsreader for binary newsgroups?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by brianj, Oct 28, 2007.

1. brianj macrumors member

Normally I'd go with unison for newsgroups but I heard people complain about it when its used for binaries...whats your favorite binary newsreader?

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Unison works well for me whatever I use it for. It is certainly better than the alternatives I have used.

3. syclonefx macrumors regular

syclonefx

4. Nummymuffin macrumors newbie

I'm a complete Mac newbie so perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but when I tried to load a newsgroup that I know for certain contains plenty of binaries, all I am getting are text replies. Do I have to click some hidden button to turn on binary support or something? :p

I'm running Leopard but since I'm getting some of the posts, I assume it has to be something else affecting this.

5. Delta608 macrumors regular

Delta608

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

There are four tabs at the top of the newsgroup window. Messages Files Images and Music.

You want to click on the right one to show you the files. Note only MP3 files are displayed under Music any other format is shown under Files for some reason.

7. FirePak macrumors regular

If your looking for an easy way to just download Hellanzb works great. You can install it manually or with darwinports. It will download verify and unrar all in one shot. Otherwise Unison is great too.

8. kresh macrumors 6502a

kresh

MT Newswatcher

http://www.smfr.org/mtnw/

9. Nummymuffin macrumors newbie

Thanks guys! I'd try it out right now but my Mini is in the shop for a RAM upgrade. I miss it already. :(

10. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

11. wintersway macrumors newbie

Another vote for Unison. The message queuing could be handled better but all in all a pretty solid app.

12. Harry Bosch macrumors newbie

Unison doesn't handle Unicode -- what else works?

As the title says...

I've documented the problem and send it to the Unicode people. Eventually, they got to me with a "we'll look into it", but after that nothing.

Anyone know a binary newsreader that works with Unicode filenames and folder names?