Best non-Apple 23" 1080p display for 2012 MBA?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by oxfordguy, Jun 29, 2012.

1. oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

Hi - I'm looking for a 23" (or possibly 24") non-Apple 23" 1080p-capable display for my new 2012 MBA. I also want something with an HDMI input, as well as the usual VGA/DVI. Ideally I would also like a display with a silver bezel, to match my Mac.

This will mostly be for normal desktop use (Photoshop, Aperture, multiple browser windows open etc.), but I do want to be able to play 1080p movies smoothly at native resolution and also some light gaming - Civ5, Crusader Kings 2, Europa Universalis III, and possibly Diablo III and Dragon Age Origins on lower detail settings.

What are good displays to check out at the moment? I have been looking at the Dell UltraSharp U2312HM (which comes in silver or black), which seems okay, if not spectacular, from the reviews I've seen, but is there anything better? Thanks

BTW Is a 16:9 screen ratio better or worse for my usage than 16:10?

2. oxfordguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Anyone have an opinion on this? I think I've decided to go for a 16:10 display in the end, as will take up the same space as a 23" 16:9 display on my desk, but offers more vertical screen estate, and I'm seriously considering the Dell UltraSharp U2412HM (silver bezel version), but are there any other displays I should be considering? The U2412HM I can get for about £240, don't really want to spend more than £300. Thanks

3. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

aoc e2343fk or and lg w2340vg i have both and they are great the lg has dvi vga and hdmi and an audio out so if you get a mini diplay port to hdmi adpter you can out put the sound through the monitor with a pair of speakers to help with cable clutter