Best non-Apple battery for MBwhite 2010?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by XoFu, Jun 5, 2014.

1. XoFu macrumors regular

XoFu

Hi guys,
    I'm looking to replace the battery of my new (to me) 2010 MBW. I would rather buy non-apple (cheaper), but I've never replaced the battery of one of my macs and wouldn't know which to choose.
    Someone out there with experience that at least would advice what not to buy?

Thanks for your time,
    X

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I wouldn't trust or recommend any non-Apple battery, due to the number of problems reported with "knockoff" batteries. Also, there is no assurance that knockoff batteries have the same charging technology that Apple uses, involving the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the Mac's logic board. The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

3. XoFu thread starter macrumors regular

XoFu

Thanks for the advice

I had read the recommendations about battery.
    In this case this is a purely economic decision.
    I'm in Europe and Apple batteries "new" are about 120-130 euro which makes them about 2, or even 3, times more expensive than alternatives...

Appreciate the advice all the same,
    X

4. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

I ended up deciding to spend more and get a genuine Apple battery for longevity reasons, but I'd recommend checking Amazon for batteries, and paying close attention to the reviews portion, and avoiding batteries with little or no feedback.

You should feel fairly safe with a non-OEM battery, but never trust a charger that isn't genuine. The danger with generic AC chargers is significantly greater.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have seen quite a few posts on here from users that bought batteries from Anker and they said they worked fine. If you look at the Amazon reviews look pretty good. Never tried one of these myself, but it might be a cheaper option for you if they are available in your country.

6. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

I replaced the battery in my son's 2008 MacBook (Unibody) recently at an Apple Store and they did it all for $99, right at the Genius Bar. The battery is listed at Apple for $129 (plus shipping) so this seemed like a good deal for an original Apple battery.

7. XoFu thread starter macrumors regular

XoFu

Thank you all for the input.
    I will replace the battery with an apple original to be on the safe side.
    It will be more expensive.... and hopefully worth the cost.

Thanks again
    X