Best non-Apple display for new (and old) MacBook ?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Bickley, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Bickley macrumors newbie

Hi All,

1) Can you please help me narrow down an alternative to the new ACD's that are available for the new MB's. I'm looking for good value (not for gaming, just to expand screen real-estate).

2) Also, what is the largest display that the new MB could power. I believe the guys at the Apple store said it was only 24".

3) Lastly, any recommendations for the "old" MB or does it not matter new vs. old. My gf has and older MB and is also looking for a display.

Yes, the new Apple displays look sharp, but I have to think that there are worthy $300 options available. Thanks very much for any insight! :)

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Dell LCD @ 1920 x 1200.

Do you need a USB hub and more then just tilt?

3. Bickley thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks...

Eidorian...yes, probably just need a usb hub or two, and tilt adjustment would be nice. the webcam on the new ACD's is a cool feature but its not really necessary for me.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Dell just launched a new 22" LCD @ 1920 x 1200. No USB hub or motions beyond tilt though. I'd give the rest of their LCD line a look. 3-year warranty comes standard one them and I've ordered countless varieties from them.

5. Bickley thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll check those out

Thanks. I'm noticing that the Dells, HP's and Samsungs that i'm looking at don't have USB ports. Am i just not seeing it listed or is it something that only the top-of-the-line monitors have?

I would like (and I know she would too) to hook up a keyboard to the monitor via USB and then just have to plug in the MB when we come home.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I was lucky to find my 22" Gateway with a USB hub for US$249 two years ago. Sadly only the more expensive monitors have USB hubs nowadays as well.

7. Bickley thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I'll continue to look...

Thanks for the insight, though. I may have to spend more to get USB.