Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ohkuipo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
Hi, I'd like to purchase a router for my home, but unfortunately Apple's prices for theirs are exorbitant... I'm looking for a model that broadcasts Wireless G (as my MBP can't do N), and has (at least 1, preferably 2) USB ports for easily sharing hard drives. The drive sharing part is the most important and probably hardest to get right.... I know that it'll "just work" with an AirPort Extreme, but $180 is just way too much for what it is! Could anyone with any experience in this matter offer some advice? Thank you.

rkdiddy

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2008
OC Baby!
Hi, I'd like to purchase a router for my home, but unfortunately Apple's prices for theirs are exorbitant... I'm looking for a model that broadcasts Wireless G (as my MBP can't do N), and has (at least 1, preferably 2) USB ports for easily sharing hard drives. The drive sharing part is the most important and probably hardest to get right.... I know that it'll "just work" with an AirPort Extreme, but $180 is just way too much for what it is! Could anyone with any experience in this matter offer some advice? Thank you.

You could always buy AEBS off me. :p

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2009
Ohio
This is an N router from best buy that is backward compatible with g and has a USB port. I would check it out. Its $100 but it looks very nice and has great speeds.

ohkuipo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
I have that modem/router and it's great and easy to set-up but it's HDD format support is limited

Ams.

Thanks for pointing that out. HDD-sharing support is the only extra that I'm really looking for in a router model.

As for the people pointing out the previous-gen AEBS, I guess that would do everything I'm looking for.

Although, as I do more research, I realize that I could really benefit also from the audio-out that the current AirPort Express offers, as I have a nice pair of speakers that could be plugged into it--and if I'm using iTunes, I could just pipe music wirelessly that way as well! I know the AE has one USB connection... can that be used to share HDDs? Apple only advertises that you may print from it, but I see no reason for it not to do hard disks as well.

ohkuipo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
Such a total bummer. Can't share HDDs on the AE, but the AEBS doesn't have audio out. I'm certainly not going to plunk down $250+ on redundant overpriced networking solutions from Apple, so now that company won't be seeing any of my money in this situation. What a headache.

ohkuipo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
Well, the old AEBS doesn't support AirDisk. I guess my only choice here is to pick up one of the new ones?

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
This is an N router from best buy that is backward compatible with g and has a USB port. I would check it out. Its $100 but it looks very nice and has great speeds.

I've got that one as well.

It doesn't support printer sharing, but if your printer has wireless or an ethernet connector, you can connect it to the router that way. I connect my HP C6380 wirelessly and it works just great.

srexy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2006
The non-gigabit N versions are going for around $80-$90 on Fleabay (I'm using one and extending using an Airport Extreme). Just make sure you stay with 7.3.2 firmware if you want your airdisk to actually WORK :D

ohkuipo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
The non-gigabit N versions are going for around $80-$90 on Fleabay (I'm using one and extending using an Airport Extreme). Just make sure you stay with 7.3.2 firmware if you want your airdisk to actually WORK :D

What do you mean by non-gigabit N? I assumed (after reading the wiki article) that Apple's router lineup went from the Dome/UFO base stations, which did B/G, straight to the current Extremes, which are square, do B/G/N, and use gigabit ethernet. Could you clarify your statement, please?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.