Best non-damaging hard case for rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by angelica314, Jul 17, 2013.

1. angelica314 macrumors member

Hello everyone :) This is my first post on this forum. I have a refurbished 13" 256gb rMBP bought about 2 months ago. I got pretty lucky because it's in perfect condition and I'd like to keep it that way. I bought a hard case from amazon for about $30 and it's been good but after reading about hard cases on this site I'm afraid that it'll damage it. The case's brand is Kuzy...I don't know if it's a quality brand, I just bought it because of the reviews.

Anyway, does anyone know of any quality case that won't damage/scratch the MBP? I already have a laptop bag for it but I'll probably be taking it to class and I want a hard case for easier travel.

I was looking at this one: http://www.amazon.com/Moshi-iGlaze-MacBook-Display-Translucent/dp/B00AJVMIKU

any thoughts? Thanks!

2. locoboi187 macrumors 6502a

This is what I got: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008LBSB1K/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It looks great but it scratches easily, not noticeable at a distance though. I'd say just buy the one I just linked you too, and if you don't like it, return it and get the one you linked to. I'm only saying this because of the huge price difference. Or order both and see what you like, return what you don't like.

3. angelica314 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, but they only have the 15.4", mine is the 13.3".

4. bkribbs macrumors 65816

There's a difference between the case scratching and the computer scratching. Appears to me you two weren't talking about the same.

5. angelica314 thread starter macrumors member

You're right. I'm talking about the computer scratching.

6. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

meh..

such over-priced cheap chinese made products
    why add bulk to a sleek machine for?
    you want to protect the gadgets, baby them completely and use total commonsense, these gimmicks are out to get a hold of you for everything it's worth don't fall for it. it isn't an iphone that you'll be carrying with you and using 24/7, if you are i applaud you, you must be fit!

my notebooks are in the most pristine condition, they always go back into their original boxes and every time i go and use them, they always - always got this new out of the box vibe about them, it's so great!

baby these over priced shiny red crispy fruit consumer gadgets if you really want them to perform for a long - long time, because these cheap china made bulk-additions wont prevent you from damaging your toys anyways if that is what you're gonna do either way.

7. angelica314, Jul 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2013

angelica314 thread starter macrumors member

Lol, I get you. But the thing is I'm going to live in a dorm soon and I'm going to be carrying the laptop to class, library, etc and I don't want to risk it. The case I gave a link to is transparent, which I like very much. It's really expensive though, which is why I'm asking if anyone has one that keeps their laptop scratch-free and is relatively affordable. Thank you for your response :)

8. Oridus macrumors 6502a

You're right, because it's not possible for accidents to happen. I can baby my laptop all I want, but all it takes is me sitting on my chair with my laptop out, and my daughter to come up and slam one of her toys into my laptop thinking she's playing and dent it somehow, or spill something on it, or knock it away from me in a split second sending the laptop to the floor.

Accidents happen, and people do like protection for when accidents do happy. If they don't happen to you, fantastic. I applaud you and would like to have your luck... but for the rest of us, if we want a case, we'll buy one. Thanks for your input though.

----

To the OP, I really love the Speck Satin Shells. Nice soft touch, slim (1/4 inch added thickness), and protects most of the outside except for right by the peripheral ports on the sides. The clips that hold the case on have not damaged my 15'' rMBP at all, as they just hug the sides. I got mine for $12 (included shipping) on ebay. It was "used" as a display model at some store. It came without a blemish.

9. sensorian macrumors member

Surely putting a laptop back into it's original box is some form of OCD isn't it? I totally agree about the importance of looking after them but as well as being beautifully designed products they are supposed to be functional and to a degree resilient and robust.

For me life is for living not worrying about something that might never happen. - Different folks, different strokes though I suppose....

10. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Not worrying also means not going out and buying additions and protections for an object that will eventually fall apart, and yes, accidents happen, no one is going to argue that, especially not me.

My point is that these are really expensive tools, so we must make our environments and habits cater to their longevity, that means not just using it on your lap with kids and animals around. Even though they are portable devices / mobile machines, they are tools, they need a flat solid surface and proper use habits. This is my practice and my tools are still pristine because I make time and proper space to use them, otherwise I know more accidents are prone to happen if I relax my usage.

Making time and space to properly get the most out of these machines is not a disorder, especially if your intention is fully to sustain the life span of these overly expensive machines. You can't be too careful, you can't be too care-free either.

There are so many affordable alternatives to getting these snap on cases. Just a great sleeve is fine, you're not using it while on your long board or on a busy subway car right????

11. angelica314 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you! The one I currently have is kind of soft on the outside but hard plastic on the inside, is that how this one is?

I found this one on ebay, is this the one you're saying? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Speck-See-T...es_Covers_Keyboard_Folios&hash=item2ec92ae496

12. Oridus macrumors 6502a

That's the one.

It's hard on the inside, but the clamps are so shallow on the side that it really doesn't matter.

My laptop is in perfect condition physically after having the case on for a month. I just took the case off to take the pictures. Aside for a bit of dust buildup (normal with any case), it's perfect.

Pics included.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No blemishes. :)

13. angelica314 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks so much for the pictures and everything, you've been so helpful! :) Sounds good then, I'm ordering it quickly because I don't even want to use my laptop now without anything to protect it haha.

14. Oridus macrumors 6502a

Good deal. Yeah I was turned on to these cases form people on this forum too. I watched some videos on youtube and was hooked.

15. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I am glad you ordered Speck. I have ordered Speck twice for my two MBP and rMBP both are great. :apple:

16. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

I haven't tried speck, saw many reviews mention about the weak clips.

So i went ahead and order incase, twice ...

my retina probably going to be incase too, or STM ( because of the velvet padding inside ).

17. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Well I am lucky…My two Speck See-Thru hard case with firm clips nothing break or cases come apart at all. :apple: