Best non-iPhone for OS X

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by IlliniNation, Aug 18, 2008.

1. IlliniNation macrumors newbie

Everyone --

I do not have the funds for an iPhone or its DataPlan... I want a phone that I can manage well with my MacPro. I currently have Verizon, but would move to Att if needed.

I want the following features that I can manage with my MacPro.

1)Sync Address Book via Blue tooth
    2)Play MP3's that show cover art(not a requirement), sync from MacPro (usb cable or BT)
    3)Custom wallpaper
    4)Custom ringtones associated with specific contacts
    5)Stereo Bluetooth
    6)External Storage..

If the phone can mount like my Insignia MP3 Player... I can create scripts to sync MP3's or even Video..

Thanks In Advance..

2. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

dont get anything from verizon. Their media player software (their version of itunes) Costs $99 and DOES NOT work with macs.

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Well their smartphones may have apps that work with Macs. Palm's stuff with Garnet on it(their non-WM PDA) work out of the box I believe. And WM phones need missing sync, but worth the small investment. Not sure if BlackBerry's software works well with OS X, but media has been RIM's strong point, so you could avoid them all together

4. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

wouldnt the fact that their music software does not work on mac make all phones useless to the OP because that was one of his requirements?

As far as i know, there is no way to put music on your verizon phone if you have a mac and i bought it not REALLY paying attention to that. I ended up returning it, but first i called the support line and they said no love for macs

5. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Maybe Verizon's standard phones, but smartphones on Verizon, will be able to be used. I'm not 100% on album art, but the songs can work.

iTunes Plus should work well for many smartphones(check to see if they support AAC), and Amazon's Music Store would be good for buying songs too.

Personally I'd say go to AT&T because of their use of GSM, allowing for a wider range of phones, since you can buy unlocked devices to use

6. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

be used, but what about the music? Their music program is ONLY for PCs, so how would you put music on a smart phone without that software? I have never had a blackberry, so i'm asking

7. off in the wood macrumors regular

Wrong. Before switching to the 3g iphone, I had a blackerry 8830 WE and a samsung SCH I-760. With both I had movies, custom ringtones, music videos, etc on them. As long as you have enough internal or external hd space you can put any and all of that stuff on there. I accomplished all of the above via bluetooth.

To the op. You said you can't afford the 3g iphone and the data plan, but you said you would be willing to switch to at&t for a phone that has your requirements. Know this, verizon's data plans (blackberry, or other smartphones) are more than at&t iphone data plan. Unless of course you have one of their non-smartphone phones (dare, voyager). I don't know how data works on them, cost wise.

Also, if your strapped for cash, if you are thinking about switching to at&t, you will have to pay an early termination fee (if your still in contract). Even if you stay with verizon, and you're still under contract, you will have to pay full retail price for whatever phone you want