Best nonApple iPhone dock

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by nsbe0, Jul 24, 2010.

1. nsbe0 macrumors newbie

Jul 24, 2010
    hi macforum members. i'm new here. i'm looking for an iphone4 dock that isn't apple branded. reason being is that their dock doesn't support iphones that have a case around it.

i don't want to make my own out of paper clips, pencils and rubberband either. i'm willing to spend less money than an apple branded dock.

i want it to be simple, clean, and functional.

have any suggestion?
  2. lorenwade macrumors 68000

Aug 27, 2008
    Look no further than Made 2 Dock. It's pretty popular around here. Works with most cases.

Made 2 Dock
  3. pdqgp macrumors 68020

Mar 23, 2010
  4. nsbe0 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 24, 2010
    wow, i'm definitely using that prior to getting a more permanent stand/dock.

thanks for the tip!
  5. nsbe0 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 24, 2010
    wow, it fits into the desk holes. that's pretty ingenious. i like the look too. looks way better than apple's.

but i'm looking to spend a little less than $30. i'm looking for $10-20 shipped. is that not possible in today's consumer electronics world?
  6. Snowman3459 macrumors 6502a

Jun 15, 2010
    Unless you make your own, yeah not possible.

You can pay $30 for a iPhone 4 dock that cannot be used with a bumper or $50 (?) for a Universal Dock...but of course, made by Apple.

$30 for made2docks but just about any case will fit in it and there very nice.
  7. nsbe0 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 24, 2010
    after filtering through pages and pages of videos with multiple queries i found this:

i guess not very many people know about it?
    looks cool. i'm gonna contact the youtuber to see how he likes it so far.
    i guess it's like $15 on their main site but he said on ebay it's cheaper.
  8. Snowman3459 macrumors 6502a

Jun 15, 2010
    That's actually a really nice looking dock. Very elegant.
  9. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

Aug 8, 2007
    San Dimas, CA
  10. nsbe0 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 24, 2010
    you know what? that's actually worth it's price for it's multifunctionality. i'll bookmark that.

but i'm looking for an away from a computer dock that's near my bed, plugged into a wall like the video i found. but that would be perfect for desktop purposes. thanks for your suggestion! :D
  11. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

Jun 20, 2010
    Just be aware that you can't use this dock if you're using Apple's bumper. Numerous reviews on Amazon mention that point, and it's been brought up on this forum as well.

Obviously a non issue if you're using a different case!
  12. Autopilot638 macrumors 6502

Jun 15, 2010
    Too hot in summer, too cold in winter
    I like that Sinjimoru dock.
  13. Snowman3459 macrumors 6502a

Jun 15, 2010
    I actually went on Amazon and just ordered it. It looks quite impressive and does what it's supposed to do.

Now I have a made2dock for my pc and this one for the table next to my bed.
  14. vincenz macrumors 601

Oct 20, 2008
    Thanks for the heads-up on the Sinjimoru stand.
  15. iggypod macrumors 6502a

Jun 23, 2010

I have this dock and like it. I had to modify my apple bumper via a dremel tool like others on the forum did and it works great. Other cases with open bottom access to the port work fine.
  16. nsbe0 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 24, 2010
    i ended up picking one up for myself on ebay.
    got it for less than retail. so i'm happy. this thing looks like it came out of an apple store. i like how it has the USB cable's logo on it.
  17. reliantj macrumors 6502

Sep 8, 2008
    wow. you watched my video?

sweet. you watched my video nsbe?
    i love this stand i've got it perched next to my bed so i use it as an alarm clock and it just looks cool. it's like i've got an iphone4 shrine with the sync stand and all my cases on it.
    i'll be posting videos on cool things i found for dirt cheap, but not dirt quality. thanks for watching my video again.
  18. nsbe0 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 24, 2010
    No, thank you for posting! I've subscribed to your channel. :D
  19. nsbe0 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 24, 2010
    ooo dang. i like that it's made of aluminum:eek:. but i like the look and price of the sinjimoru, not to mention being able to put your iDevice in landscape.
  20. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Apr 6, 2010
    Yeah I like everything about this one but the price. :(

I am sick of not having some type of dock for next to the bed. I don't mind no dock when syncing to my MBP, but I want it standing next to the bed.
  21. reliantj macrumors 6502

Sep 8, 2008
    pictures with my Sinjimoru sync stand in my room

Sorry for the lighting. The lighting in my room is terrible. The paint doesn't help much cause it's a light yellow, lol. I consider this my iP4 shrine. In total under $40!

22. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

Jan 29, 2010
    Lexington, KY.
    Yeah, thanks for posting the Sinjimoru one, reliantj! Oh, and you've got another subscriber to your videos. Well done!

BTW, the iPhone 4 shrine cracked me up...maybe it was the weird lighting, but it got a smile out of me.

Thanks again! I've been looking for a stand like that for a long time!
  23. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

Aug 18, 2008
    I really like that sinjimoru dock, but I'm just worried that it might be too lightweight. It's only 2.1 ounces according Does the phone feel like it is going to tip backwards if you push on it? I also read that there needs to be more rubber on the feet because it slides around on a desk. I'm kind of torn between the sinjimoru and the made2dock. The made2dock seems like it doesn't give the phone much back support. Does the phone tip forward and back in the made2dock? It basically looks like a dock without a dock adapter in it.

I wish Griffin would update the AirCurve to work with the iPhone 4 and Contour would release their flick case. I used that combo for nearly 2 years with my iPhone 3G. heh.
  24. reliantj macrumors 6502

Sep 8, 2008
    it is really light which you can see from my video. you need two hands to remove the iP4 from the stand. an inconvenience against more positive points.
    as for flipping backwards- the base is wide enough to support the iP4 and haven't had any thought to it falling over, but my set up is against a wall.
    for the rubber feet- once the phone is docked, the weight of the phone pretty much holds it all down.
    i was thinking of putting a low tack adhesive to the bottom to give it more of a hold, but i just haven't had any problems with it except for having to use 2 hands to undock it. my only gripe.