Best note-taking app (Lion)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SaMaster14, Jul 20, 2011.

1. SaMaster14 macrumors 6502

Well, I'm going off to college next year, and for high school I used my iPad to take notes (it has some AMAZING note-taking apps). But, I'll have a new Mac laptop for next year and want to know if there are any cool note-taking apps for the Mac. I will probably use both my iPad and new laptop to take notes regardless :p

thanks

2. merkava macrumors member

3. Ach111es macrumors regular

I was a huge one note user. I literally have 3 years of notes in just a few notebooks, tons of research, a workout log, wish lists of stuff to buy including the links, pictures for school project use. I LOVE ONENOTE.

CircusPonies kinda caught my eye as an alternative to dual-booting.

4. YoungCreative macrumors member

YoungCreative

Archive as plain text (.txt)

Applications come and go, so be prepared for the day when you can no longer open supported files. Archive all important documents as .txt files. I have some old WordPerfect and MacWorks files as proof of lost information.

Cool Apps come and go, but plain text is forever! :D

5. italophil macrumors newbie

Disclaimer: Super geeky solution!

I absolutely agree.
    I recommend emacs and orgmode to take structured notes in plain, after learning the keystrokes it is very efficient and effective, plus it exports to pdf or doc for fancy printing. In the Mac I started using aquamacs for now, since the version in the terminal is outdated.

6. temiller macrumors member

I have always been a fan of the MS office for notes, although I'm trying out pages now.

I create a new section, and use the date of the class/research as the header. I can easily scroll down to what date I need to go back to. Search for anything, etc.

I generally take notes by hand, then transfer them to my computer. My profs/university realize most people are surfing the net/facebooking the entire class period so they often don't allow computers in class.

I can't verify if this is true or just a coincidence, but most of the class rooms don't even have wifi anymore. When I first started going to college in '05, every room had wi-fi. When I transferred and started to work on my second degree, the buildings had wifi, but the individual classrooms didn't. Perfect reception in the hall, minimal to no reception in classrooms.