best note taking software

bdugan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2006
Hello,

I am about to go to law school and am in the market for notetaking software other than word.

I have read good things about OmniOutlinerPro and Circus Ponies notebook. What else is worth checking out, and what do you use?

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Cirus Ponies Notebook is nice if you only have one thing to focus on. I tried managing several Notebooks for different subjects and it just got everywhere.

In the end I decided to use Journler for school and Yojimbo for my everyday notes.

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Just purchased the academic version of Circus Ponies Notebook yesterday. I haven't gotten a chance to use it in class but since I can type faster than I write this application should help me keep much more organized notes. I'd suggest you try out the demo first.

blackstone

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2005
Washington, DC
I think Circus Ponies Notebook works very well for law school note taking. It's speedy, has a good, clean interface, and is nicely consistent in how it sticks to the notebook metaphor. My one complaint is that the index/search feature feels clunkier to me than normal spotlight-style searching.

I switched over to it during 1L year after realizing that Word's "notebook" feature got incredibly laggy after you had more than a couple week's worth of notes on it.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
subethaedit and google docs aren't like...notetaking apps in general, but they're great for collaborative editing if you like to take notes with multiple people.

aspro

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Hobart, Australia
The version of OmniOutliner that came bundled with my Macbook covers my needs perfectly for a note taking app, but I am not really that good at taking notes during lectures. :p