best note taking software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bdugan, Jul 10, 2007.

1. bdugan macrumors regular

Hello,

I am about to go to law school and am in the market for notetaking software other than word.

I have read good things about OmniOutlinerPro and Circus Ponies notebook. What else is worth checking out, and what do you use?

2. mcnees287 macrumors newbie

I am also interested in this. As i am in a similar situation

3. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

Cirus Ponies Notebook is nice if you only have one thing to focus on. I tried managing several Notebooks for different subjects and it just got everywhere.

In the end I decided to use Journler for school and Yojimbo for my everyday notes.

4. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Just purchased the academic version of Circus Ponies Notebook yesterday. I haven't gotten a chance to use it in class but since I can type faster than I write this application should help me keep much more organized notes. I'd suggest you try out the demo first.

5. blackstone macrumors regular

I think Circus Ponies Notebook works very well for law school note taking. It's speedy, has a good, clean interface, and is nicely consistent in how it sticks to the notebook metaphor. My one complaint is that the index/search feature feels clunkier to me than normal spotlight-style searching.

I switched over to it during 1L year after realizing that Word's "notebook" feature got incredibly laggy after you had more than a couple week's worth of notes on it.

6. janey macrumors 603

janey

subethaedit and google docs aren't like...notetaking apps in general, but they're great for collaborative editing if you like to take notes with multiple people.

7. aspro macrumors 6502

The version of OmniOutliner that came bundled with my Macbook covers my needs perfectly for a note taking app, but I am not really that good at taking notes during lectures. :p