Best notebook that runs Classic apps?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ickystay, Oct 23, 2008.

1. ickystay macrumors regular

Hi. My dad's eMac is dying and he wants a notebook. Dad loves his old apps and would be lost without them. So, which notebook should he buy?

Will any G4 Apple running Tiger or less run classic apps (provided OS9.2.2 is on board)?

I'm looking hard at 15" Aluminum G4's, especially the 1.5 or 1.67 GHz models. Can anyone post yay or nay?

Thanks!

2. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

I say Yay for notebooks. only go for powerbook.

Powermacs would be great for desktops.

3. sfroom macrumors regular

Best bang for your buck will be a 15" Powerbook G4 1.67 Ghz. I believe the 1.67 has a better screen than the 1.5.

I played around on a friend's 17" PB G4 1.67 the other day, and it still runs pretty impressively! Definitely a nice upgrade from the eMac

4. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

I have a PowerBook 15" 1.5Ghz that I'm selling ;)

A G4 is your best bet - aim for the Revision C (like mine) or a Revision D model. These should have AirPort/Bluetooth onboard, and 9700M GPUs with either 64 or 128MB of VRAM.

Most classic apps should also run under OS X's classic mode on the G4s, which is a more elegant solution that dual-booting.

5. ickystay thread starter macrumors regular

Ha! Pity I'm in such a hurry!

I just spent $600 of dad's hard earned money on what looks like a business pull. Ebay #110303509661. I think he'll get off on the bit of applecare left on the unit.

I'm still shaking from spending so much on something I can't touch and really check out...

Thanks for your responses everyone!

6. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Good price, especially for a unit still under AC. Hope he enjoys it :)

7. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Wow that is a hell of a price for that machine! Guess they are finally cheap enough now since the new Albooks came out :) Your dad will love that puppy to death! Also upgrade it to 2gb and your dad can run all is old apps at once :p

edit:
    Really nice indeed. After reading the listing, that is the High resolution model with 128mb vram and DL DVD burner. Top-of-the-line model!

8. ickystay thread starter macrumors regular

Update.

A nice powerbook arrived. I turned it on and--- loaded with Leopard. I call the seller and he says he'll send some Tiger disks post haste. Ding dong- FedEx guy arrives with a rather large box. Another powerbook. Another powerbook loaded with Leopard.

Little devil on my shoulder say's, "Oh boy!, one for dad and one for you!!!". Angel on my other shoulder grabs me by the ear and hauls me over to the phone to call the seller. I send back the extra PB, seller sends the Tiger disks.

I upgraded the ram to 2 gigs and have a 160 gig hd on hand to throw in. So, this computer should work out fine.

In retrospect, we probably should have got a newer Macbook and learned to adapt new apps to his old files, but dad is O.K. with the set up and that's the important thing.

Hopefully, The End

9. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Wow congratulations on the new... old Powerbook. Your dad will be pleased with it. I on the other hand would have listened to the devil :D Kidding but that is a good thing you did there. Great price too because the aluminum Powerbooks have came down so much in price. It's funny to see people still listing them for $800+ lol while the same models are actually going for $400-500 now.