Best of the Worst

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nathanjosephs, Jun 1, 2007.

?

Who is the better drummer?

1. Meg White

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. Ringo Starr

9 vote(s)
    81.8%
  1. nathanjosephs macrumors newbie

Who is a better drummer, Meg White or Ringo Starr??

This was the prime argument with my friends today. I believe it to be Meg White. Though both Ringo and Meg play with such simplicity, I think Meg is just better.

What do you guys think?

Also, anyone have any favorite drum solos by either?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There will never be a greater drummer than the drummer/singer of the Romantics. :D

3. fatandlazy11 macrumors member

fatandlazy11

I'm only voting for Ringo because I have never hard of Meg White.:D

4. nathanjosephs thread starter macrumors newbie

What?!

No Meg White, of the White Stripes.

The criticism of the two is that they are both simple. I mean, seriously, Ringo may be one of the worst drummers of all time, that is fact and common knowledge. When Meg White came along, she was criticized for her one handed simply melodic beats that drove songs.

I still believe that Meg is definitely better. Ringo is just too bad.

5. apple1984 macrumors member

apple1984

Definitely Ringo. Although many people underestimate his ability, I believe that he is one of the finest drummers of his generation in terms of consistency, stylistic contrasts, and expressiveness. Ringo did have some excellent fills on songs like "A Day in the Life" and "Rain", he had only one featured solo in the entire Beatles oeuvre due to his dislike for the perceived arrogance to the form (on "The End"; interesting note: he was actually tricked into playing the solo; the other Beatles were playing along during the recording, but George Martin and the other Beatles stripped off the instrumentals in post). Anyway, I can't really make compare him to Meg White without more knowledge of the White Stripes' catalog. I also challenge your contention that Ringo is among the "Best of the Worst"; to label his work in such a derogatory manner would be to misinterpret the role of the drummer in contemporary music. To each his own opinion.

EDIT: I'd like to hear your reasoning for labeling Ringo as "too bad". I don't mean to criticize your opinion, but I consistently find Ringo as one of the best drummers of all time.

6. macmama macrumors regular

macmama

Good grief, NO! :eek:

But Meg White is just terrible. I was completely nonplussed first time I saw The White Stripes perform on Conan; I thought it was a comedy sketch. I've had 4th grader beginner percussionists with more chops that she has.