Best office apps

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Invisible Devil, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Invisible Devil macrumors newbie

I am looking for an office apps. Any suggestions?

2. infopreneurkid macrumors newbie

Have you looked into the office apps that Apple has?

Pages, Keynote, and Numbers.

3. Invisible Devil thread starter macrumors newbie

Ya. But I am looking for other cheap, useful, and compatible office apps.

4. Squadleader macrumors regular

Ya spent close to a grand on an Ipad with accessories and data plan and 9.00 bucks is too much money..?? :confused:

5. franmatt80 macrumors 6502a

Try Documents to Go or Quick Office. Do a search for 'office documents' on the app store and you'll find plenty to choose from.

6. nutmac macrumors 68040

I frankly haven't found what I need either. Regarding Apple's Pages and Numbers:
    • Compatibility with MS Office is still inadequate.
    • Cannot create folders.
    • No Dropbox support.
    • Numbers: Cannot merge cells.
    • Numbers: Does not support external keyboard.
    • Pages: No hand drawn notetaking.
    • Pages: No footnote/endnote.

7. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

Docs to Go.

Unfortunately the Numbers app is a total fail. Has been since last year when origianl iPad was released.

8. Invisible Devil thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok. So I found document to go and Quick office which and said to be work with dropbox. Any suggestions which is better?

9. caubeck macrumors 6502

QO is prettier with fewer features.

D2G is uglier with more features.

You can't paste images into either. QO doesn't even have a search function for your open document.

I have both, and always use Pages, which lacks folders and other things I've written about in the dozen or so threads already on this topic here.

10. RebelSyd macrumors newbie

With regard to Pages/Keynote/Numbers not having DropBox support, has anyone tried dropdav? (gives you a webdav interface with dropbox) I'm curious to see if it has been a workable solution for people.

11. franmatt80 macrumors 6502a

Yes, use it all the time and it works perfectly with iWork.

12. SpeedFleX macrumors 6502

I'm looking for a good office app too, does quickoffice support Airprint?

13. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Personally, I find Apple's iWork applications are the most feature rich and best done applications (I also use DropDav to access my documents via WebDav and have never had a single problem with it).
    However, the compatibility with Office is not particularly good and you often get weird conversion errors (exporting from Pages into Word format seems to work OK though).
    I try and avoid MS Office format files wherever possible so it's not a big issue to me: I use pages 99% of the time on my Mac for documents I create (and send them out as PDFs), and use Libre Office if I need to work with Word documents.
    On the rare occasions I need to work with an Office format document on my iPad, I use Documents to Go which has pretty good compatibility with Office files but is horribly ugly and clunky to use

14. mlstein macrumors newbie

The best of a spotty lot, for me, is QuickOffice. I wish it had more features but for basic work it's okay, and its file handling and Dropbox integration are excellent. In fact, you can drag and drop files in Dropbox to organize them, which you can't do in the Dropbox app itself. The presentation tool works all right, too.

I need access to styles for some work so I use Pages for that. (Hint: get the 30-day free trial of Pages desktop to create your custom styles and export those templates to the iPad.) DropDAV works well, so I can access my Dropbox. Not being able to organize files within Pages is a real dealbreaker, though.

I tried DocsToGo but found it too buggy--selecting text was a nighmare, especially if I made it large enough to read easily.

15. RebelSyd macrumors newbie

Awesome! Thanks.