Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

burts

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2015
I've been very happy with the Herman Miller Embody chair. Breathtakingly expensive but it works very well for me. I had an Aeron before it; this is much better.

An adjustable footrest and an adjustable-height desk make those long days easier, too.
I also have a blue embody chair, I used to go through a office max chair once every 3 years at 3-400 dollars...My embody is like brand new 10 years later

cylack

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2006
Orlando, FL
I've had my Herman Miller Aeron for 17 years now and have had no complaints. Your back will thank you for it. From what I've read, they have made some slight improvements to it over the years.

Reactions: burts

olup

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2011
I had a Herman Miller Mirra 2 on trial for two weeks, but didn't like it. I eventually went with a Steelcase Gesture, which is great.

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
Not sure if you're anywhere near an Ikea, but if you are take a look at their Markus chair. I've had mine about 2 years and for the money, it really is hard to beat. I'd happily buy another tomorrow, although this one still looks like it has many years of life left in it.

markus-swivel-chair-gray__0324506_PE517017_S4.JPG

Another 3 years on and my Markus chair is still holding up well. At less than £25 a year, incredible value, and a comfortable chair to boot!

an-other

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
I've inherited an Aeron that's well over ten years old, and am very happy with it. My biggest complaint is it is not something to sit on to put on pair of shoes. You almost feel like you're being pushed off the chair. I understand you tried it, and it didn't feel right. I encourage you to continue to you find what is right for you.

My office did stock HumanScale chairs. Comfortable enough, however the arms regularly broke. There was a weak plastic piece as part of the design, and they just cracked regularly. Our office always had a corral of chairs awaiting repair.

Our new desk chairs are Steelcase Series 1. I would rate them Aeron, HumanScale and Steelcase (for me. I wouldn't buy a HumanScale with my own money, but I'd prefer to sit in it if my employer pays for it!) I find the Steelcase S1 is just not comfortable for long periods. This may be deliberate as our new work space is supposed to encourage people to work in different areas.

I know Recaro makes some novelty desk chairs. I would take them for a test drive (sorry for that) if I were buying something for myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.