Best office type app for iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MrMister111, Mar 30, 2011.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68000

Hopefully getting my iPad 2 soon. What is the best office type of app? I use Mac and Windows computers.

I notice there is Docs to Go, Quickoffice etc. I wont use it much, but I want to encourage my family to use it, and want a office type suite

cheers

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Personally, my favourite is Pages, Numbers and Keynote (combined with a dropdav account to enable saving to and loading from DropBox) but the compatibility with MS Office files isn't the best. I also have Docs to Go which is a bit ugly but has better compatibility with office files.

3. 425, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011

425 macrumors member

Personally, I'd get Pages Keynote Numbers. After getting my iPad, I was told that QuickOffice was better, but I've found that though cloud interaction on iWork is a bit messy, it's still fairly intuitive, and the formatting options are orders of magnitude above QuickOffice. Since they are all similar, why not get Pages and see how you like it before jumping at Keynote and Numbers?

4. patrickj macrumors regular

Office2 HD is another good option if you're able to work with Google Docs as a sort of Office intermediary. It supports Dropbox as well.

5. DNAppleGold macrumors regular

I think the discussion shows that the answer to your question will depend on your use. I have Iwork and QO. If you use Microsoft Office at home/work and need to easily access, do light editing of, and save back many different documents (word, excel, PPT) on the go, I'd bet QO is best for you because of its superior file folder, integration with services like dropbox and google docs, ability to handle these tasks without converting the doc to another program and thus the need to convert back. If you want to create, format, and do more heavy editing of documents, or use Iwork at home, the IWork suite is probably better. For me, I use QO because it is an all in one feature and for its dropbox integration. But if I was a writer or needed to create/fromat polished docs, I bet I'd use pages a lot more.

6. DNAppleGold, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011

DNAppleGold macrumors regular

(sorry, i pressed submit twice. this is deleting the second post)

7. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

I just notice Quick Office Mobile Connect is on special at moment for GBP £8.99, is this the best for what I will use, ie not much?

The other Apple apps are £8.99 each so a lot more?

cheers

8. cbronfman macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info - I just downloaded it.

9. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Any good then please? still havent decided

10. franmatt80 macrumors 6502a

I'd second this. iWork as a preference for UI and functionality, D2Go for fidelity of original office files.

11. WoodrowCall macrumors 6502

WoodrowCall

I don't have to worry much about getting docs off my iPad, I usually just export them as pdf's if I want to view elsewhere. Even though the iWork suite for iPad is expensive, I couldn't be happier with it. I haven't use anything else, but I'm very happy with Pages, Keynote, and Numbers.

12. sarashah macrumors newbie

iWork and Quickoffice are my favorite office app.

13. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

You have to be aware of how the various mobile apps can alter the MS Office files that you are editing. Since the mobile apps aren't compatible with every feature that Word or Excel (especially Excel) have, formatting or information can be lost when saved.

14. thibaulthalpern macrumors regular

Interesting. So what's the best app for MS Word files? I work almost exclusively in Word for word processing and would like to have an iPad 2 app that is as fully featured as possible and as close to MS Word compatibility as possible.

15. mlstein macrumors newbie

QuickOffice offers far better Dropbox integration and it's far better for organizing large numbers of files. Pages on the iPad won't allow anything other than a cover-flow type display of your files, with no subfolders, and to connect with Dropbox you need DropDAV. OTOH, Pages reproduces a lot of formatting better than QuickOffice and it has styles--though you can't create styles on the iPad. (If you don't have Pages for Mac, download the free 30-day trial, set up your basic doc, and send it to the iPad for cloning each time you want to create a new document.) I use both.

16. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

+1 for Quickoffice HD. It can open password protected files too.

17. skyelucien macrumors newbie

So....

So i should get pages if i want fancy doc edit. And QO if I need it on the go, right? Did anyone ever try getting both? Like, fancy edit on pages, transfer it to office, and then use QO to present it or something...

18. ozengo macrumors newbie

ozengo

19. DannoTheManno macrumors newbie

Sorry to hijack the thread but I would assume y'all know the answer to this, without needing to create a new thread.

I have Pages on my MacBook Pro and my iPad, I've set up the Cloud on both my iPad and the MBP.

How do I access a Pages file I created on my iPad on my MacBook Pro and vice versa?