Best old Mac to buy..

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ShaneBunting, Nov 19, 2013.

1. ShaneBunting Suspended

What's the best older Mac to have around? I wouldn't mind having another around with my MBA 11" to ease the use of it..

As long as it's..

- Supported (Mavericks, and not one model ahead of discontinuing..)
    - A laptop Mac

Some ideas that come to mind are the old 15" Pro's and the curvy MacBook White..

Something that would stick pack a lot of bang for the buck, you know?

2. RickyB macrumors regular

We don't know anything about OS X 10.10 (or OS X 11.0) yet so post-Mavericks support isn't guaranteed for anything. Having said that, i5 processor or newer should be fine as they are currently on sale.

I'd go for a MacBook Pro non-retina as they are relatively easy to upgrade in terms of memory and hard disk. I'd avoid MacBook Airs for that reason.

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I don't really see why you would need to ease the use of the Macbook Air. You can use it as much as you want without wearing it out.

Now you'd just have two laptops that you need to keep synchronized if you care about that. Anyways as said before any i5 model should be fine.

Although a computer that can run a modern OS and software isn't exactly old.

4. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

The 2009 MBP is a sure-fire, solid and dependable workhorse. And I just happen to know a dependable seller.

5. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

A Mac tech guy once told the 2009-2010 Macbook Pros were the best models.

6. trevm999 macrumors member

I like the Macbook Late 2009/mid 2010 (The curvy white ones you mentioned) They can go to 10.9 and they are easy to repair. You can get the bottom case and display shell replaced for free through Apple. The screens are inexpensive to replace as well.

The issues I have noticed with them other than the cosmetic display shell and the bottom case issues are, I've seen a fair amount of the LCDs develop an issue where they intermittently fade to white and then back to normal, most of the time it doesn't end up being a frequent issue. Also, the magsafe board has a tendency to get pushed back into the case, but that just requires a simple realignment. Oh, and also if you stack to much weight ontop of one that is still one, the Apple symbol will start to "burn" it's way into the screen so you can see it on the other side.

I would stay away from any of the older style Macbook Pros, too many with GPU issues.

The non retina MBP are pretty good. My only issues with them are that it is challenging to replace the magsafe board without removing the logic board, and if you break the display glass, Apple's solution is to replace the whole display assembly, which is more expensive. You can just get the glass, but it is third party and a lot of the time they have defects. However, even the older models tend to cost a fair bit more than the white 2009/2010 macbooks.

7. JAT macrumors 603

I've got a PB 165c with accessories I'd let go for under a grand. First widescreen, first color laptop. State of the art NiMH batteries. No internal CD/DVD drive to weigh it down. Latest build of OS 7.1 installed.

8. RUGERMAN macrumors regular

Huh?

Under a grand? You can buy a new MB Air for that or almost new refurb for a lot less.

9. jkeekij macrumors regular

I hope this is a joke. :confused:

10. wjlafrance macrumors 6502

Actually, these classics are beginning to demand a pretty penny if they're in good condition, include original boxes and software, etc.

11. jkeekij macrumors regular

Really? I know some classics bring some good prices but never thought this machine would be upwards of a grand.

I guess we do learn something new every day. :)

12. JAT macrumors 603

It was a joke, guys. But go ahead and make me an offer if you want.

13. htg macrumors regular

I can tell you a Mavericks supporting Mac which you should avoid at all costs - late 2007 15 inch Macbook Pro. Bought mine from an Apple reseller, and in just over a year it has had to logic board failures, and to make things worth it's considered vintage by Apple as it's over 5 years old (even though it supports Mavericks). It's quite possibly the worst notebook Apple's ever built.