Best Online Backup Software?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by paragonj, Jan 26, 2008.

1. paragonj macrumors member

Hello all,

I'm looking for recommendations for the best online backup software. Here's the role I'm trying to fill.

I am going to be getting a Time Capsule to do Time Machine backup on-site at my house. I'd also like to have an off-site backup, but I only really feel the need to have my important documents (basically my home folder) backed up off-site. I'm not really interested in carting a hard drive off-site or what-not, so I'm thinking that online backup will fill this role nicely.

Can anybody recommend a program/site that will work well for this need? Please suggest both free (if there are any decent ones) and paid services.

Thanks for the help!

2. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

http://www.crashplan.com/

Works really great, especially if you have a friend who also uses it (else you can just pay more for using their own server).

3. dws90 macrumors regular

Try JungleDisk. It works great, and is incredibly cheap (I have all of my important file backed up, and have to pay about $1 a month.)

http://www.jungledisk.com

4. pavelbure macrumors 6502a

mozy will do you fine. you can get 2 gigs free. sign up using this referral code CBCVV3 <<<<<< that's 2 v's not a w or click the link below.

https://mozy.com/?ref=CBCVV3

if you use the link you can get 2.2 gigs. no credit card is needed for using their free service.

5. paragonj thread starter macrumors member

Does Mozy work with Leopard? It says 10.4 on the website.

6. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

7. pavelbure macrumors 6502a

yes it does.

8. evandena macrumors newbie

Amazon S3 is perfect for this, which brings me to vote for Jungledisk.

9. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

Since Jungle Disk works as a network drive, can you have two computers simultaneously logged-in, accessing that drive, so that you see a change from one computer reflected in the other, in near real-time?

10. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I like .Mac

But it depends on how big your home folder is. I just backup my settings, contacts, keychains, and photos. The only other big thing I have is iTunes songs.

11. TooBadSoSad macrumors newbie

I would also recommend Crashplan. Not only can you backup to their servers, you can also backup to a local machine which allows much faster restores.

I also paid for and used JungleDisk for a while. However, one big downside for me is that it can not detect moved or renamed files. So if you have a huge Aperture library, and decide to move it to a new folder or rename it, JungleDisk will try to re-upload the entire thing. Crashplan is smart enough to detect a move and not re-upload.

12. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

You need version .7 or better of Mozy to work with Leopard. I used Mozy on my old Tiger Macbook and recently set it up on my MBP Leopard box. I wrote a quick tour of how to use/setup the application here.