Best online syncing methods

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by velocityg4, Aug 16, 2016.

1. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I'm looking for the best solutions to keep two Macs in sync. These solutions must be very reliable. I've seen too many services promising online connections and syncing which fail to be reliable.

These solutions must
    - Work over the internet
    - Sync all files and folders in home folder
    - Keep contacts, calendar, e-mail, keychains, browser settings and passwords in sync
    - Not be a resource hog or slow. Too often sync services are slow to sync just a few files over very fast internet connections. Often they also use a huge amount of CPU power just to sync.
    - They can be multiple sources to meet different requirements

Most of these I already have options in mind but am looking to see if there are better options.
    - iCloud: Keychain.
    - Google Apps account with domain: Contacts, Calendar and e-mail
    - Browser settings: The browser being used is Chrome so the built in service should work
    - Passwords: Lastpass
    - Files and Folders: Here is the real issue. I know Dropbox is very reliable but you are stuck with the Dropbox folder. Other which allow selecting multiple folders never seem to be very reliable. Anyone have experience with one which is.

So any better options for keeping two desktops in sync? How would it compare to just using a MB Pro and using a dock, avoiding syncing altogether?

One issue I was wondering if fixed. About four or five years ago I setup an office of five Macs. I had them syncing contacts over Google. The problem was they started duplicating contacts like crazy, some had hundreds of duplicates. They weren't comparing dates between contacts. With so many computers syncing it just started duplicating contacts. As they could not identify identical contacts with so many computers syncing. I replicated this and found that three or more computers syncing caused this behavior. It was caused by Apples built in contact manager. As it did not occur with Thunderbird. Once the Apple one got added, things went haywire.

2. tjwilliams25 macrumors 6502

The iCloud syncing features included with macOS Sierra should solve most of your issues, especially home folder syncing. It's built right into the OS, so it doesn't create any performance issues, and it's super easy to set up and maintain. There's a public beta right now that you can try out, but I think the launch is coming up pretty soon.