best operating system, currently running on OS X 10.5.8

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iggywiggy, Sep 12, 2011.

1. iggywiggy macrumors newbie

hi there,

I need to update my computer and clean it out and put a new operating system on, lion is the newest....before doing this I would like some advice on which to go for as i know sometimes with the newest versions there are bugs...

My main problem is with itunes not importing, I'm also a dj and have lost a lot of time and music playlists by updating software, so want to aviod this...

I've made full back ups of my music, and systemsettings etc using time machine with a 500GB back up hardrive...

I think the harddrive on the computer needs to be totally, erased and repaired, which i can do through disk utility...if i do this will i lose all my applications, or are they also backed up on time machine?

any advice or help woud be greatly appreciated, I could also update itunes to newest version...to see if this fixes the import issue, itunes just crashes anytime i upload and don't want to put items in the add to itunes folder as then any playlist I want to keep for passing on or just keep them separate get eaten into the itunes library and i don't want this....

ok hope i have been clear in what i would like help with.

Cheers
    j:rolleyes:

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

We need more information, specifically what computer you're using. In most cases, I'd recommend the latest OS that a machine can run, although there are exceptions, and waiting until 10.7.2 at least might be prudent (10.7.1 is working fine for me, but there's always a risk of issues with early releases of any major OS verion).

jW

3. iggywiggy thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sorry, I'm using a macbookpro.

I just updated itunes to current version 10.4.1 and its STILL crashing when uploading songs...i really am at a loss as what to do with this as i've so much more i want to add...

I'm currently running OS X 10.5.8 could this be the problem, should i upgrade operating systems would this fix the problem?

And what should i upgrade to if i do?

also same question still applies, will i lose all my apps, I have backups of files etc. just not sure how it works when you change operating systems.

Thanks

----------

MBP bought new july 2009,
    mem: 4gb 1067 MHz DDR3
    processor: 2.66Ghz intel core 2 duo

not sure if you need all that but there you go

4. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

You won't lose all of your apps if your hard drive doesn't die. I would upgrade to the latest version of Snow Leopard for your machine and run Time Machine before replacing the main HD with a new one. That way, you can restore it pretty easily when the new drive comes in.