best operating system, currently running on OS X 10.5.8

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iggywiggy, Sep 12, 2011.

1. iggywiggy macrumors newbie

Jul 16, 2011
    hi there,

I need to update my computer and clean it out and put a new operating system on, lion is the newest....before doing this I would like some advice on which to go for as i know sometimes with the newest versions there are bugs...

My main problem is with itunes not importing, I'm also a dj and have lost a lot of time and music playlists by updating software, so want to aviod this...

I've made full back ups of my music, and systemsettings etc using time machine with a 500GB back up hardrive...

I think the harddrive on the computer needs to be totally, erased and repaired, which i can do through disk utility...if i do this will i lose all my applications, or are they also backed up on time machine?

any advice or help woud be greatly appreciated, I could also update itunes to newest see if this fixes the import issue, itunes just crashes anytime i upload and don't want to put items in the add to itunes folder as then any playlist I want to keep for passing on or just keep them separate get eaten into the itunes library and i don't want this....

ok hope i have been clear in what i would like help with.

2. Mal macrumors 603

Jan 6, 2002
    We need more information, specifically what computer you're using. In most cases, I'd recommend the latest OS that a machine can run, although there are exceptions, and waiting until 10.7.2 at least might be prudent (10.7.1 is working fine for me, but there's always a risk of issues with early releases of any major OS verion).

3. iggywiggy thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 16, 2011
    I'm sorry, I'm using a macbookpro.

I just updated itunes to current version 10.4.1 and its STILL crashing when uploading songs...i really am at a loss as what to do with this as i've so much more i want to add...

I'm currently running OS X 10.5.8 could this be the problem, should i upgrade operating systems would this fix the problem?

And what should i upgrade to if i do?

also same question still applies, will i lose all my apps, I have backups of files etc. just not sure how it works when you change operating systems.

MBP bought new july 2009,
    mem: 4gb 1067 MHz DDR3
    processor: 2.66Ghz intel core 2 duo

not sure if you need all that but there you go
  4. kappaknight macrumors 68000

Mar 5, 2009
    You won't lose all of your apps if your hard drive doesn't die. I would upgrade to the latest version of Snow Leopard for your machine and run Time Machine before replacing the main HD with a new one. That way, you can restore it pretty easily when the new drive comes in.