Best option for 2016 MBP & Cinema and/or Thunderbolt Display owners?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ckorhonen, Nov 22, 2016.

1. ckorhonen macrumors regular

ckorhonen

Curious what everyones recommendations are for the best solution for owners of the Apple Cinema Displays (24" or 27") and the Thunderbolt Display?

At home I have the 27" TB display, shared with a Mac Mini, that I occasionally plug in to. At the office I'm using a 24" Cinema Display (mini DP).

My ideal would be a small hub that takes power via MagSafe from the display, and has a TB/mDP + USB-A, connecting and powering the MacBook over USB-C. Alas, none exist.

Currently thinking about a few options:
    1. Dongles, lots of dongles.
    2. A dock of some kind - this would be ideal for the office, though seems like all the good ones won't be available for a while.
    3. Put the $200 or so I'd be spending on options 1 and 2 towards the LG 5k display while it's cheap! Doesn't solve for home, but I can deal with that later.

2. gwang73 macrumors 6502a

gwang73

Apple USB-C to TB2 adapter for the thunderbolt monitor and you can use the USB ports on the back of that monitor.
    For work, I'm waiting for this hub: https://www.bourgedesign.com. For now, I'm using a USB-C to Mini DisplayPort adapter and the Apple USB-C A/V adapter for USB and charging.