Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andy2011

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
I'm looking at getting a new iMac but the only one thing is holding me back from buying now is the lack of an SSD.

I assume I can boot from either an external USB3 or thunderbolt, but can anyone recommend me any reasonably priced enclosures/drives that will work?

Has anyone been doing this yet?

Ta

Yeroon

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
If 256 GB is enough, the LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt/usb 3.0 drive might be interesting (including TB cable!)

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2010
I'm looking at getting a new iMac but the only one thing is holding me back from buying now is the lack of an SSD.

I assume I can boot from either an external USB3 or thunderbolt, but can anyone recommend me any reasonably priced enclosures/drives that will work?

Has anyone been doing this yet?

Ta

I'm currently running my 2011 21.5 iMac off a Seagate GoFlex Thunderbolt sled (STAE121) and 128GB SSD. The sled costs $99 and can run any 2.5" HDD or SSD. I will note that some folks have reported disconnections (I have experienced a few lockups as well), but works great outside of those few blips. Provides a snappy experience and easy to upgrade!

Andy2011

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
That looks a pretty good option.. has anyone tried putting an SSD inside a USB 3.0 enclosure and using it as a boot drive? If so what kinds of speeds do you get from it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.