Best Option For a Graphic Designer?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DulceXimenaBO, May 18, 2012.

1. DulceXimenaBO, May 18, 2012
    Last edited: May 18, 2012

DulceXimenaBO macrumors newbie

I'm thinking about buying a Mac. I do know that these are quite good for designing / running heavy programs like photoshop, corel draw, etc. (Obviously depends on RAM, I know.)

I don't know what would be better. I defenetely would like to have both desktop and portable computers (one for college & stuff and the other for house and big display). I'm going to be doing a long-term money save for those, so price is not really the problem.

I would love to hear what you think guys. What do you think would fit me best? The iMac and a Macbook o a Macbook and a Thunderbolt display. I don't know wheter to choose the Macbook air or pro, because the Macbook pro is quite more expensive, but I'd like a rather powerful computer to use at school as well. And having an iMac and a Macbook would mean more storage and stuff like that. I don't think syncing would be a problem since we now have iCloud.

What would you do? (I already own an iPhone, an iPod Touch and an iPad so I think that going mac has much more sense than buying a PC that I wouldn't even like)

By asking this I mean, that I would like to know the one that will FIT MY NEEDS! It's not a matter of quality (If I wanted to know that, I would've already defined a Macbook pro, a Mac pro and a Thunderbolt display) Not that I'm cheap but I want to know what I would really NEED..

2. coolmacoz macrumors newbie

I would recommend the i7 Quad Core 27" iMac and 13" Macbook Air.
    RAMs are cheap and upgrade RAM to 16GB (4x4GB) on the iMac, but hold off the Macbook Air as strong rumours of new MBP/MBA coming out mid June.

For both computers, it's preferable to get the internal Solid State Drive (Flash Drive) as it improves the speed significantly.

Also get yourselves an external hard drive with minimum capacity of 2TB to compliment the shortfall of smaller SSD storage capacity.

3. DulceXimenaBO thread starter macrumors newbie

I have no hurries in buying them this year... I will be saving for about a year or two.. I just hope the iMac introduces some new features by that time :)

4. macbwizard macrumors 6502

macbwizard

It's hard to know what would fit your needs without you being more specific. That being said, a MBP + external display offers the perfect blend of power and portability for me.

5. ellaimac macrumors regular

Macbook pro 17" is a good choice, I recommend 13" Air though :)

6. stevelam macrumors 65816

first of all, icloud isn't going to help you at all in this regard.

next, just get a macbook pro and a good IPS dell monitor. you don't NEED both an imac and a macbook.

7. esaverin550 macrumors newbie