Best Option for Creative Workstation

Discussion in 'iMac' started by adb1982, Feb 10, 2012.

1. adb1982 macrumors newbie

Long time lurker, first time poster!

I wanted to get some feedback from the community on what the best way to go for a creative workstation would be. I will be using it for mainly photoshop, illustrator and some light web development. It also needs to be compatible with my small cintiq tablet. The only other requirement would be that the monitor / computer would need to be wall mountable. I am setting it up in my basement with limited space, and use an adjustible drafting table as a multi-purpose desk and obviously a traditional stand doesnt' work very well on an angled surface ;)

so far, im looking at either a) an iMac 27 or b) a custom PC with the Dell 27" screen

I am comfortable in both OS's and building the bardware (if i go that way). I already have CS5 for Mac, but i can sidegrade to the PC version if that is a better choice.

One of the things i am concerned about is the multitude of posts concerning the screen problems of the iMacs. I'm not sure how common those are, or if they are geographically significant (ive heard there are regional differences in frequency but im not sure if that is true)

Any input on what the better way to go would be. I'm not too worried about the price difference between the options, and other tasks than CS / light development should not be considered (i have a gaming PC for games, and a macbook pro for "on the road")

thanks in advance for the help :)

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Use your gaming PC. It likely exceeds what you'd need to run Photoshop or Illustrator smoothly.

3. adb1982 thread starter macrumors newbie

That would be great, except the desk where my gaming PC is does not have room for my cintiq, and is in a louder part of the house. the basement is normally nice quiet to work in :)

4. adb1982 thread starter macrumors newbie

would appreciate any other feedback / options that are available. I've tried looking at the forum history and don't see anything for my specific situation

Thanks!

5. jwm2 macrumors regular

From a web development aspect i prefer working in the mac environment. For me dreamweaver, fireworks and photoshop just run smoother and look better than on my previous windows 7 machine. I've been in web development for about 15 years and have just recently switched to macintosh and wouldn't go back for all the money in the world (well we'll cross that bridge when we get there).