best option for data while travelling europe?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pesos, Jul 8, 2011.

1. pesos macrumors 6502a

pesos

I'm on verizon now but still have my old att iphone 3g and wondering what the best way for me to go about basic data connectivity is while travelling france/spain/italy (and possibly switzerland).

Should I bother bringing the iphone or is there a better option to pick up in country? I suppose I could survive with just text messaging for emergencies (i run a business back home and need to be reachable as much as possible) but data would be preferred if not prohibitive.

Any suggestions would be great - thanks!!

2. kfergiez macrumors 6502

kfergiez

As with the states, WiFi is everywhere in Europe. That's what I used, I never felt like I needed a data plan over there.

3. pesos thread starter macrumors 6502a

pesos

I figured... however this time around I have a feeling we'll be a bit more off the beaten path, so I'm not sure how accessible wifi will be...

4. kfergiez macrumors 6502

kfergiez

Yeah, I don't know how far off the beaten path you are going. we stayed in Levanto Italy, for several days. It's a small Mediterranean town, but it still had plenty of wifi spots. Now, if you are backpacking through the mountains, that's a different story.

5. pesos thread starter macrumors 6502a

pesos

part of the problem is that i don't fully know yet myself :)

so curious about what cellular-based options are out there just in case...

6. Earlvolfan macrumors newbie

Get Global Connect from VZW

Going over there myself in about 10 days and, of course, the VZW IPhone won't work there. Search for 'Global Connect' on the VZW website and you'll find the page that describes it.

Basically, they let you borrow a dual mode CDMA/GSM phone for 30 days for free. I got a Blackberry Tour and switched my number to it with their Global Data Plan, which is only $50 a month, and you pay for only the number of days that you're overseas. It includes unlimited data & email..

7. kfergiez macrumors 6502

kfergiez

That exactly why I just took my iPhone and used wifi.... do avoid that hassle. But then again, I don't need to be tied down to email and phone service every second of every day. I was on vacation.

I just skyped or used facetime when I wanted to talk to somebody back home. Oddly enough I also used the Google Voice app to make free voip calls. I didn't pay a dime extra, and had almost full functionality with my phone.

8. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

I'm actually traveling to Europe this summer from mid-August to mid-September for study abroad and been thinking about how to stay mobile connected. I think i'm gonna go ahead and turn international roaming off, data roaming off on the iPhone, and use wifi exclusively. With Skype/Fring/Google Voice, staying connected with folks is gonna be easy when you're in town. Also, I'm gonna take my unlocked LG from yesteryear to use a local SIM with the folks I'll be with. I feel this option will be the most cost-efficient.

Maybe you could get your workers to use skype to chat with you and that'll be your "text messages?" Skype's available on many platforms so they could most likely reach you from their mobile devices too. This may be the best alternative.

Too bad iOS 5 isn't out yet then iMessage would be great!

9. pesos thread starter macrumors 6502a

pesos

I do plan to bring my iphone as well for use where I can get wifi - bringing my girlfriend an ipod touch so we can facetime when I get back so will want to test that out. But what I am looking for here is more of a "pager" type option - just for work emergencies as I am a small business owner - so that obviously needs to be cellular-capable.

The occasional global traveller program (they probably changed the name) alluded to above is perfect. For 21 days (30 including shipping to/from verizon) big red will loan you a world device for the cost of shipping and usage rates. I don't plan to do calling - just emergency texting. 5c to receive and 50c to send - not atrocious. I don't expect to have to use it too much since we'll be 9-10 hours ahead of the workforce in Cali anyway.

Thanks much for the tip!