Best option for dual-boot SSD RAID0?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Vedia, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Vedia macrumors newbie

On the new iMac 27. I'm planning to set up a raid0 configuration with two ssd drives.

So I have two options in mind:

Option 1: Order the iMac with the standard 1TB hdd and buying from OWC both ssd drives. This seems complicated and expensive because the only ssd with msata connection in OWC is the 480gb model, and I just need 128gb.

Option 2: Order the fusion drive 1tb, disabling the logical volume, and install an OWC 128gb ssd in the place where the HDD is. Then make the raid0 with Disk Utility from a usb drive with MountainLion installer on it, and install the OS on the new fancy raid0, getting speeds up to 900MB/s.

Do you think having two different ssd (Samsung 128gb and OWC 120gb) in raid0 would cause me any performance troubles? Do they need to be the same size and brand to perform best?

2. iLondoner macrumors 6502

iLondoner

Raid 0 stripes data across two drives without any redundancy and is normally used either to
    - increase the performance by spreading the read/write activity across two mechanical devices, or to
    - create one large logical disk out of two or more smaller ones.

I don't see the point in what you are trying to do.

3. Vedia thread starter macrumors newbie

The point is that I want maximum performance and with a SSD raid0 I'll get 900-1000 MB/s instead of 400-500MB/s.

But I have some concerns about installing two ssd of different brands and sizes.

4. photoz macrumors member

Do you really think you'll be able to squeeze 2 drives inside the new iMac?

5. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

Any of the iMacs with a Fusion drive will have enough room for 2 drives.

We'll have to wait and see if the 27" models comes with 2 sata ports standard or if you'll have to order Fusion with the computer.
    iFixits teardown of the 21" w/o Fusion showed only a single SATA connection on the logic board, without that other connector you'll be SOL.

6. Vedia thread starter macrumors newbie

They have 1 sata and 1 msata ports, so we can install:

this on the sata
    [​IMG]

and this on the msata behind the logic board:
    [​IMG]

But that's more expensive than Option 2, which is to buy it with FusionDrive and having the Apple/Samsung 128gb ssd on the msata port, and then replace the traditional hdd with the owc mercury extreme 120gb.

7. iLondoner macrumors 6502

iLondoner

OK, should be interesting. I'll get the popcorn ready. :)

8. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

You will certainly get high performance doing that. My concern would be in mixing different drive technology in the RAID-0 pair. Have you contacted OWC regarding using their SSD products in this manner? I know they used to differentiate their higher end SSD products as being RAID compatible, whereas the lower priced ones were not.

I am currently running a pair of matched SSDs in RAID-0 and the performance gain is very worthwhile in my Mac Pro.

It is unfortunate that the new iMac is not likely to have a 3rd SATA port like the previous 27" models did. This might allow stacking 2 SSD drives in the physical space of the 3.5" hard disk and having 2 SATA ports to connect them in a RAID-0 without using the mSATA slot (leaving it free for a small SSD Windows BootCamp if desired).

-howard

9. Vedia thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the reply. I'll definitely write OWC an email asking them about this matter.

My biggest concern right now is the possible (or not) troubles with mixing in RAID0 the propietary Apple(Samsung really) SSD on the msata port, and the great OWC Mercury Extreme Pro on the regular sata port.

Let's see if someone here can help me out with this issue in the next few days. I can't wait to get the 27 inches Apple beast.