Best Option For External HD?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Eggtastic, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

I am preparing to sell my 2011 11" MBA and going forth with buying a 12" rMB. I already have a WD external HD that I bought back in 2011 and use it for Apple Time Machine. I honestly rather go with a newer updated external HD that is wireless and can be accessed from anywhere.

First off, would you recommend just manually storing anything I wish to do such as photos, music, etc. I find Time Machine to be a bit weird as it just copies EVERYTHING from that particular date. I'd rather see just the stuff I need in a few folders rather than a "whole desktop" set up.

Second, would anyone recommend a wireless external hard drive? Is there anything I should be aware of? Or should I just stick with wired?

I want to start fresh with a new rMB, and then be able to add or atleast access my photos and music from an external harddrive, or even copy them onto my rMB if I go with the 512gb option.

What are my options and what do you recommend? Thanks

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

I would go with a normal hard drive and one of these

http://www.kingston.com/en/wireless/wireless_readers/mlwg3

You can then use any digital media to back up from USB sticks to SD cards, it gives you a mobile wifi solution and even a battery for recharging phones and your Mac if needed.

3. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Try a time capsule for time machine and get a second rotational drive to plug into the time machine to have a nice duplicate back up. I'd let time machine handle the back ups vs manually dragging and dropping as you can browse versions and not have to manage it much.

4. kohlson macrumors 65816

I'm not sure if you want to use the external drive as a working drive or a backup drive. I think wireless may be too slow for working, but would be fine for backup. You can configure TM, on a per volume basis, to back up only those folders you want backed up. And then, it only really backs up what's changed.