Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

custerc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2012
Hi folks,

I've got a 2011 MBA running 10.7.5, wondering what my best option is for getting video played on VLC to my HDTV, ideally in HD. Also, I need to be able to play the video in VLC on my laptop because most of what I watch is with Chinese subtitles and other programs always have compatibility or encoding issues that VLC doesn't.

I recently bought the Cable Matters USB to HDMI converter, but that was DOA so I had to return it and before I take the chance on another one, I'm wondering if there are any better options out there.

(Note: I'd prefer options that are cheaper. Yes, I could upgrade to 10.8 and buy an Apple TV and then be able to stream VLC via to the apple tv via our wireless network (I think...) but that's $130.)

Calot

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2012
Moshi MiniDP to HDMI adapter. Or this thing that is ONE single cable that goes from thunderbolt directly to the HDMI on an HDTV. They both cost the same, but with the latter you do NOT have to get an HDMI cable.

custerc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2012
Moshi MiniDP to HDMI adapter. Or this thing that is ONE single cable that goes from thunderbolt directly to the HDMI on an HDTV. They both cost the same, but with the latter you do NOT have to get an HDMI cable.

Will that support sound as well as video? It looks like the current-gen MBAs do but I'm not sure whether the 2011 ones do as well? (I bought mine in Oct 2011, so it's the second-newest model).

Calot

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2012
Will that support sound as well as video? It looks like the current-gen MBAs do but I'm not sure whether the 2011 ones do as well? (I bought mine in Oct 2011, so it's the second-newest model).

Yes. I have personally used it on my 2011 MBA. It works perfectly fine. You just need to go into settings, audio and then select the output.

Estrates

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2008
Have a PS3
Install PS3 media server (on MBP) also add folders where movies are to PS3 media server
Connect to macbook pro via PS3
Play the movie on PS3>HDTV through movies section
Quality does not change.

I do this all the time and it works fabulous.

Just be sure your movie(s) are HD :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.