Best option for going abroad for 4-5 months

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by tineofpower, Nov 17, 2009.

1. tineofpower macrumors newbie

I'm studying abroad in Ireland for 4 months next spring, and I want to keep my iPhone. What is the best way to achieve this?

• ask AT&T nicely to unlock my phone
    • get an overseas plan from AT&T
    • jailbreak and use O2 or whatever they have in Ireland
    • something else? (suggestions please?)

2. rowsdower macrumors 6502

I think the first thing you should do is call AT&T and see what they recommend. Their options may be prohibitively expensive, but at least you can compare it to other options. If you can get it unlocked, the cheapest option will probably be to get a prepaid SIM card when you get there, but data will probably be expensive.

3. FallibleClover macrumors newbie

The easiest thing to do is to jailbreak and pick up a sim card when you get to Ireland. I'd stay away from O2 as their call and text rates are pretty expensive also the data packages are the same among all providers for PAYG data. Check out Meteor they have the best rates for calls and texts in Ireland, data rates are here:

http://www.meteor.ie/do_more/mobileinternet/payg_pricing/

I did the same thing when moving from Ireland to the US, I tried using a cheap ass phone for the first few weeks but I ended up jailbreaking my iPhone.

4. tineofpower thread starter macrumors newbie

So there is no chance that AT&T would unlock my iPhone? jerks :mad:

I may have to jailbreak, but I have no idea what I'm doing in that department.

5. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

You have no idea how easy it is. PM me a email or instant message username and I can help you do it. It's so easy though.

Note- I have Facebook IM, Windows Live Messenger and Google Talk

6. tineofpower thread starter macrumors newbie

I decided to JB my phone with blackra1n and it worked beautifully.

When I get to Ireland I would just go to a Meteor store and pick up a SIM? That seems too easy.