Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BG-Mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
I am going to be woring in depth with Quickbooks 2009 (PC) and need my best option for running it on my new 17" UMBP. Would I be ok with fusion/parrallels or should I just buy a Windows XP/Vista licence and run it through bootcamp? Thanks for any advice you may have to offer.. :D:apple:

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
You'll have to have a copy of Windows nonetheless to virtualize it in VMWare/Parallels. You won't have to pay for the virtualization software if you just install it after you partition with the BootCamp Assistant.

BG-Mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
You'll have to have a copy of Windows nonetheless to virtualize it in VMWare/Parallels. You won't have to pay for the virtualization software if you just install it after you partition with the BootCamp Assistant.

I gotcha. Thanks. Which do you think would be better for running Quickbooks for extended periods of time? VMWare/Parallels or Bootcamp?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I gotcha. Thanks. Which do you think would be better for running Quickbooks for extended periods of time? VMWare/Parallels or Bootcamp?
I don't consider the majority of office applications to be heavy lifting for a computer. It's fine to use a virtual machine for this kinda of work and you don't have to reboot.

Markov

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Philadelphia
Well you'll be spending less money using boot camp, but you have to reboot to use Windows and will be cut off from using anything in OS X. You can, although, access files from OS X using Mac Drives (which is not free). VM Ware/ Parallels should be able to handle quickbooks perfectly, and that 17" mbp should be more than capable to run both OS's at the same time.

arjen92

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Below sea level
I would buy VMWare as most people like it more. I have it as well. When you buy windows, install it on your bootcamp (really). I installed windows 7 on bootcamp. So when for example (I never use windows 7, just wanted to have it installed) you have something heavy you can use bootcamp. But when your'e doing nothing really intensive, VMWare will open windows from your partition. So you can use 1 windows on bootcamp and vmware at the same time. But you need to install it on bootcamp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.