best option for me

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by yanksno1, Apr 15, 2019.

  1. yanksno1 macrumors newbie

    Oct 11, 2012
    Hi, so I have a late 2012 27" iMac that for the most part (computer hardware wise) is still running great. The big issue I'm having with it is image retention plus a big scratch a house keeper tried "cleaning" it. I've since told them to NEVER clean my TVs or monitors haha. I've lived with the latter issue, but the image retention is starting to get to me. My specs for the iMac are:
    • PROCESSOR 065-C0PK 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
    • MEMORY 065-0638 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM-2X4GB
    • HARD DRIVE 065-C0Q4 1TB Fusion Drive
    • GRAPHICS 065-C099 NVIDIAGeFrc GTX 680MX 2G GDDR5
    Up in Philly I'm using a 34" LG widescreen monitor with my 2015 MacBook Pro that I love not having the image retention issue (obviously). This set up here works great. I've inquired about having the screen on my iMac replaced for the scratch issue, but was told that'd run around $600 and that just seems silly spending that much on a 2012 computer. And who knows if the image retention issue would pop up again.

    So I'm left wondering about getting a new setup is my best option. Was first thinking of just buying another 34" LG monitor and re-positioning the iMac but that'd be super tight. I've decided against using my MacBook Pro as I want to have a dedicated computer there in that spot.

    I'd be using this new computer for work. I'm a Web Designer that builds websites, so I have Photoshop open all day slicing graphics, Visiual Studio Code as my editor, FileZilla, Cornerstone, Firefox and Chrome open at the same time and other applications open. I also want to be able to keep ripping movies using an external blu-ray drive.

    Would a 2018 Mac Mini specked to a 6 core i7 (if I could get away with a i5, maybe that), 16GB of ram, 512GBSSD do the job for what I want to do with it? The graphics situation on it kinda scares me. Not sure about getting a iMac again since that might have the image retention issue also. What do you guys think? Thoughts would be most welcome.
  2. chscag macrumors 68030


    Feb 17, 2008
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Other than graphics, I would say yes to the Mini. However, with your work you need plenty of punch with a graphics processor. I guess a new iMac is something you have considered? In your line of work image retention is going to be a problem with retina type screens. You might want to hold out for a few more months to see if Apple produces a new Mac Pro. Then you can have graphics power and at the same time a better selection for a monitor that won't show image retention after a few years of use. Of course you would also be looking at spending a large outlay of $$$.
  3. yanksno1 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Oct 11, 2012
    Thanks, you confirmed what I was worried about with the Mac Mini. I know I can add a external GPU to it, but think I'll hold off doing that option. Right now I'll just hold out till hopefully they release the Mac Pro. That'll be pricey, but so was my iMac haha. Do have another 27" Dell monitor connected to it now, so might see if I can switch it around and use that as my main monitor setup. Do like the way the 34" works with my MBP.
  4. Darth Tulhu macrumors member

    Apr 10, 2019
    I spent $700 on a repair on my 2011 iMac, and it was worth it. I since upgraded the internal HDD to a 2 TB SSD, which gave it new life, even if it was deemed obsolete by Apple and gets no more OS updates. My screen is pristine though it is not a Retina screen. For personal use, it fits the bill nicely.

    That said, I would NEVER use any current Mac in a professional setting, unless you have no choice or prefer to use Apple apps. Are you open to using Windows? Looks like the software you are using is not Mac-only.

    Given Apple's attitude towards the Mac within the professional market, I'd start setting myself up for a transition away from the platform, again, from a pro perspective.

    Otherwise, I agree the Mac-mini and external GPU is the next best thing, as you can reuse both the GPU and the monitor if things go south. Or find a way to replace your iMac yearly or bi-annually via lease or resale to recoup some of the cost (I used to do the latter annually until 2011).

    Waiting on the Mac Pro is a gamble...they've been promising it for years now. So do your homework and be ready to pull the trigger should your Macs give up the ghost. :)
  5. pjfan macrumors regular

    May 24, 2009
    Columbus OH
    If I were in your shoes, I believe I would trial a Mac Mini + high end monitor for <14 days. I can’t stand defective screen, so don’t think I would be sticking around long with your iMac. The reason it’s worth trialing is I suspect it’ll serve your demands better than you expect, and you’ll eventually add the eGPU to get many years of use... Think of it this way, you’re moving to a “modular” computer setup due to a defective screen only, right? The mini would allow you to divorce the GPU dependency as well so your CPU/RAM can get more years of money-making use.

    Be sure, if you do trial the Mini, trial it with the ‘destination’ Monitor you’re seeking - your 27” Dell may not be demanding enough (unsure what model you have). Make use of Apple or Best Buy’s trial period, and enjoy it. My .02.


Share This Page