Best option for online sharing

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mrjosh, Nov 2, 2011.

1. mrjosh macrumors regular

I'm trying to streamline online sharing of photos. So far, my options seem to be:
    1) Facebook, Flickr - don't want to use this
    2) Picassa - works ok, but a little bit of a pain
    3) Adobe solutions - have no experience with
    4) Via my domain using something like Gallery (btw, I use dreamhost).

Here's my situation, I would like to be able to create online albums - some will be open to public, some I would like to password protect. This is not for commercial purposes (I do not need to accept payment).

I am trying to find the easiest way to upload finished photos, organize ad protect my work.

If hosting on my own domain is the best option (I would have total control), any ideas on what platform to use? I am not a programmer and would like to focus on ease of use so my wife can also upload/share.

If I posted in the wrong section, please let me know, and thanks in advance for your help!

2. guy curlewis macrumors member

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

How many people will be accessing? Dozens, hundreds, thousands, etc.

For small number a CMS such as wordpress on your own site will work fine.

4. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Flickr seems to be the most popular on this forum. Smugmug is well spoken of and several users are happy with 500px. Go through the current Photo of the Day thread and find someone with a link to a 500px gallery. It looks like a Facebook for photographers.

Dale

5. Oberhammer macrumors regular

Photobucket

6. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

I use Gallery and upload via a plugin for Aperture. While it doesn't have the features of the sites you listed, it works for me and has just enough tweekability for me to keep using it.

7. mrjosh, Nov 3, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2011

mrjosh thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks

Thanks for the responses.

Guy - great photos and thanks for the smugmug coupon. I'm considering it, but I'll probably use Wordpress - at least for now - since I have some experience with it. I'm not planning on too many viewers maybe up to 100 (for now). I'll take a look at Gallery as well as looking into Simpleviewer.

I do like 500px; some of the work there is very impressive. I'm leaning towards hosting all files myself. Of course, that takes away a certain amount of 'easy', but I think it will be worth it.

I haven't used photobucket, but I'll take a look - thanks Oberhammer

Consultant - Thanks for your earlier feedback. Do you have any experience with Perch? I need to work with it again sometime this week but I'm guessing image handling is fairly streamlined.

And if anyone has experience with Simpleviewer, please let me know.

Thanks again for your time.

8. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

If you plan on hosting it yourself, and you know a bit of HTML, you could use jQuery and some Shadowbox plugin. That's what I used for my site, and while I suck at designing, it does a good enough job of displaying the photos.

9. B.A.T macrumors 6502a

I like Zenfolio a lot. Your photos look great on their site, you can try it out free for two weeks to see if you like it, they host videos as well and best of all they have an iPad app so you can look at all of your photos easily on your iPad.