Best option for replacing stolen iPhone on AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dallas Pilgrim, Nov 22, 2014.

1. Dallas Pilgrim macrumors newbie

My iPhone 5s was stolen, it was on a 2 year contract that's about half way through. On my AT&T plan I have 2 iPhones, contracts running at the same time, and an iPad. All on 20GB mobile share (doubled from 10GB to match T Mobile). Total monthly is $141 with my employer FAN.

Target near me has iPhone 6 in all flavors in stock. What's the best option for me? I don't like the idea of 'renting' a phone via Next. If you keep it 2 years do you still end up having to return it or is it just if you want to upgrade every year?

On the AT&T website it says it'd be $550 for a new 2 year contract for the 64GB iPhone 6. Alarmingly it says it may change the plan. I'd rather pay $550 and commit to another 2 years and own the phone at the end, not to mention it seems cheaper? AT&T Next with 24 installments works out at $750 vs $550 (and then would you own the phone?)

What am I missing?

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Next is not a rent program. If you keep it two years, it's yours. At the time of signing up you simply have to choose a plan that either allows you to trade it in for a new device at 12 of 18 months. You can also choose to pay the phone off in full at any point once you've made at least two payments.

Two year contracts on a mobile share plan end up being more expensive. Your per device access goes up. ATT has set it up so the only sensible option with a mobile share plan is either buying outright or using Next.

3. Dallas Pilgrim thread starter macrumors newbie

I've just checked my bill and each iPhone is charged a $40 fee to access the mobile share plan but with a $25 credit each. So basically $15/device. I can't remember why I got that. So if I activated a new 2 year contract I'd lose the $25/month credit on that line, or both? And if I just bought the new phone outright I could replace it on my line with no changes to my current contract?

What happens when the lines are out of contract if I didn't upgrade?

4. ssl0408 macrumors 6502a

ssl0408

If you upgrade via 2 year contract, you'd lose the credit on the line that you upgrade so the bill increases by $25 and overall it works out to be about $150 more over the 2 year term versus AT&T NEXT. AT&T NEXT would increase the bill by $30 or so but you'd be out of contract on that line.

5. Dallas Pilgrim thread starter macrumors newbie

With AT&T Next do you still pay the $15/line access fee or whatever they want to call it? Or JUST the Next price plus the mobile share plan price? I think I'm leaning towards just buying the phone outright, especially with 10% off.

6. ssl0408 macrumors 6502a

ssl0408

You would pay the $15 access line fee plus the NEXT phone payment.

7. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

This. My wife changed her mind on the color so I paid off her "old" 6+ and unlocked it thru AT&T. I hadn't made two payments yet. :)

Off topic. I'm keeping it an instead selling my 6. Surprisingly to me, I like the 6+ better.

8. MatheusDebull macrumors newbie

If you purchased your phone with a credit card, you may want to look into what your credit card company has to offer. American Express, Discover, and certain programs offered with MasterCard/Visa will provide protections for this.