Best option for selling iPhone 5 before iphone 6 releases?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Reminisce32, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Reminisce32, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014

Reminisce32 macrumors regular

Reminisce32

I see a lot of iphone 5 selling for ebay now for 250-300 and would like to sell mine before the iphone 6 comes out and the price drops, but I don't have an old iphone or any other phone laying around to use as a backup.

Should I list my iphone 5 now and include in the description that it won't ship until around Sept 20 or is there another viable option? Are there any cheap phones that you or someone you know has used to hold them over to the next iPhone because they wanted to sell their iphone early?

Thanks.

2. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

First, get your new phone.

Then, migrate everything to it.

THEN sell your 5.

3. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

You could get a cheap used or prepaid phone to get you through a couple weeks. There are quite a few androids for pretty dirt cheap these days. You could go unlocked, or find one that works with your carrier. For example, with AT&T, any GoPhone will work, just swap the SIM card. You could check craigslist for something used and then either keep it as a backup or sell it for about what you paid in the first place.

4. Reminisce32 thread starter macrumors regular

Reminisce32

Can't I migrate things from an iTunes backup or iCloud? Why would I need my previous phone to migrate things?

5. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

You could, but if something happens to your backup you're out of luck.

Plus, you're not going to lose much - if $50 or so is significant, you should ask yourself if you should be doing it in the first place.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes that will work fine. Just manually backup to iTunes then wipe the phone and do a test restore to make sure your iTunes backup worked okay, then you will be in good shape.