Best option for solidworks on mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sonicrobby, Feb 2, 2014.

1. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Im going to start by saying that I moved to mac for its simplicity, cleanliness, and elegance. Now Im at a point where I need solid works, which is not compatible with mac.

There are 2 options that Ive already considered, and am very unhappy with.

Bootcamp: Simply stated: I hate windows. Its not simple, clean, or elegant and I would prefer to have quick access to the programs I have in OSX. I don't want to restart my computer every time I want to use a program.

Parallels: Better than bootcamp since it doesn't require me to restart my mac to access windows. What I don't like about parallels is that all of the windows crap clutters my launchpad. If there is a way to delete/uninstall all the preloaded programs that come with windows (internet explorer, calendar, etc.) shown in the image below. I don't want to 'ghetto fix' it by throwing them into folders. I just don't want them there, existing, at all.

[​IMG]

Ive tried using Wine to install solid works, but I could never get through the installation process. I think the solid works installation is too complex for wine.

Is there a program that will place a maximum of 2 new icons on my launchpad that will allow me to install and use solid works on my mac?

2. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

Unfortunately having them not be there is simply not how launch pad works. Personally I don't care for launch pad so your issue wouldn't affect me any but if it bothers you that much your "ghetto fix" might be the only real option. Parallel's installs a lot of stuff unfortunately.

3. sonicrobby thread starter macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Do you know if vmware has all that crap as separate icons also?

4. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

I've used it but I honestly don't recall, especially since I don't use launch pad at all.

I THINK that VMWare was a but better for that, plus I personally just liked it more, but I'm not promising that fact because it's been awhile.

5. sonicrobby thread starter macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Actually, when installing parallels, you can deselect to option to share windows programs on a mac. It will keep everything nice and clean, just that one icon. Now to test and see if solid works functions well enough.

6. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

Huh, I never noticed the option. Nice eyes.