Best option for unlocked iPhone 7 ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ansabakhan, Sep 8, 2016.

1. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

Read some where ATT and Tmobile are not capable of CDMA?
    if buying unlocked (full price) its better to just get Verizon, so this way I can get both GSM and CDMA (if needed).?

I am planing to use my phone mostly on AT&T

2. chabig macrumors 68040

Sure, it would be nice to maybe travel the world and happen to want to use my iPhone in a country that doesn't have a GSM network. But honestly, that's probably not going to happen. So for me, I'm going to be happy with unlocked GSM iPhone 7 on AT&T.

3. bmms8 macrumors 68020

4. chabig macrumors 68040

I neglected to mention that I am on the Apple Upgrade plan, so I pay a monthly fee and just upgrade every year. Since I'm already with AT&T they won't give me a Verizon iPhone next week.

If you don't mind waiting a few months, you can buy the SIM-free model, which will be the Verizon device with worldwide compatibility.

5. Cybiker macrumors member

What if you decide you want to switch to a CDMA carrier, such as Verizon, if they come out with an excellent plan? Wouldn't resell value and ease be increased if you could sell to individuals who have any carrier rather than just GSM?

6. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

Exactly, I sell all my iPhones , so that gives it more value.

7. westcoastcyc macrumors regular

If you want to buy a Verizon one tonight, you will need to have a Verizon account, otherwise you will need to wait until the SIM-FREE model is released.

8. bmms8 macrumors 68020

Correct but in store they'll let me purchase VZ not ATT model when i do in store pick up :)

9. chabig macrumors 68040

Yes that's correct. If I buy the AT&T phone tonight, I will not be able to switch to Verizon and keep my phone. I'm comfortable with that. Otherwise, as westcoastcyc said, wait until the SIM-free model is released in a few months.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 8, 2016 ---
    I don't think so. If you order the AT&T model, that's what they will ship to the store, and that's what you'll get when you go in for pick-up. I doubt that they will have stock to give you a Verizon iPhone once you've ordered the AT&T model.

10. left shark fan macrumors newbie

left shark fan

Do you mean order online or wait in line on launch day?

I have the same problem. I go to college in the US but live in Europe and I want my phone to work everywhere I go. I would love to pre-order but up until now I have no idea which one I should/can get. I have also no idea about which bands are being used in which country or by which provider. I heard that the only phone you can pre-order without an account is the T-Mobile version, is this true? Does anybody have any advice for what I should do? Pre order/Wait in line or wait until the Sim-free version comes out? Will the sim-free be any different than the models sold on launch and how long will it take for the Sim-free to come out? I know these are a lot of questions but I'm clueless.. :')