Best option for upgrading G4 processors

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dzynmkr, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Dzynmkr macrumors newbie

I currently have a Apple PowerMac G4 AGP Graphics "Sawtooth" 450MHz (1999). I have recently upgraded my memory to max (2GB - for OSX). Now, I am looking to upgrade my processing speed.

Will someone check out the site below and tell me what would be my best option for upgrade. If you know of a better, trustworthy place to buy from...please pass along the information.

Any help is appreciated!

http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upgrades.cfm?Model=165&Type=Processor&sort=pop

2. windowpain macrumors 6502a

Not really an upgrade.. but I think your money would be more wisely spent on a macmini. It would be significantly faster than the processors you linked to.

That being said, you may find the site low-end-mac helpful.

If you look on the forums nomar383 has a good use for the case. I used his advice when I made my hackintosh.

3. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

If you're trying to upgrade this computer because you want a better computer for cheap, then upgrading this machine is definitely NOT a smart move. This computer is so out of date that it literally isn't worth spending more than 5 or 10 bucks on an upgrade for it. For just a few more dollars you can buy a whole entire other Mac that is several generations more advanced, which'll be WAY faster than any upgrade you could add to the sawtooth for the same price.

4. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

mac mini FTW!

I just replaced my 1.8ghz G5 with a mini w/ 4gb ram...it's SO much faster than the G5 even. Can't imagine what it'd do for you.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Another vote for the Mini. Pouring money into that machine in order to try to keep up isn't going to do you any good.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

Spending $250 or more on a computer that old is a waste of money. You still will not have addressed disk space or ram speed.